PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke @ 2500 RPM while driving HELP!!

farmerson
02-24-2010, 07:22
The title says it, on my 99 @ 2500 RPM and up it smokes white and dont have any power. I mean you are lucky to get it to 25 MPH on a flat road. I just changed the fuel filter, put a new K&N intake on it, and a brand new 4 inch stack system off of SS Diesel. That is the only mods done to it right now. The oil is clean, no water at all. Could I just have a bad head gasket or do i have a cracked head? I know where to get a set of 6.2 heads that iv been told will bolt on and you can get more power out of the 6.5 with them, is this true? Also my vac. pump is out of it so it dont hold boost and smokes black as a freight train, im putting a Turbo Master waste gate controler on it to fix that.

bbudus
02-24-2010, 08:07
Is the SES light coming on? Any DTC codes previous? Head issues can come in all forms, the FIRST of mine that went bad on me, ran great for about 75k miles. Would purge some coolant and run fine. The second would not purge fluid but would run insanely hot(currently dealing with that issue now).

Start it up from cold, let it idle for a couple of minutes and grab the upper radiator hose. Should still be cold and squishy. If it feels like it is building pressure, could be a head.

If it is not, you stated that you have no vacuum pump? Should be triggering the SES, check the codes. If I remember right DTC 78 is a waste gate. Could be your issue. If not time to start looking at the injection pump or PMD.

Good Luck,

Bbudus

farmerson
02-25-2010, 10:20
Is the SES light coming on? Any DTC codes previous? Head issues can come in all forms, the FIRST of mine that went bad on me, ran great for about 75k miles. Would purge some coolant and run fine. The second would not purge fluid but would run insanely hot(currently dealing with that issue now).

Start it up from cold, let it idle for a couple of minutes and grab the upper radiator hose. Should still be cold and squishy. If it feels like it is building pressure, could be a head.

If it is not, you stated that you have no vacuum pump? Should be triggering the SES, check the codes. If I remember right DTC 78 is a waste gate. Could be your issue. If not time to start looking at the injection pump or PMD.

Good luck,
Bbudus

The SES light came on prolly 3 days ago, we ran the truck about 40 miles 2 days ago and i opened the hood after we got home and i smelled coolant. The top radiator hose was squishy. I know the PMD is going out because it will die on me every now and then. I have two other 6.5 engines laying around with injection pumps i can choose from so that wont be a problem. Also does the Vac pump control anything other than the wastegate? Thanks Farmerson

bbudus
02-26-2010, 08:32
Have you pulled the codes yet? That would help. Any coolant loss? You said you smelled coolant.

I would guess it is not the injector pump itself but the PMD, I have been through numerous PMD's before I bought the PMD relocating kit. Never has the pump been bad, not saying it couldn't, just not as common. As for the last question, yes the vacuum pump only runs the wastegate.

Last note, I would caution using 6.2 heads, they may create more power, but the valves are bigger making the heads more susceptible to cracking due the the thinner walls.

Bbudus

farmerson
02-26-2010, 13:01
I dont have a computer to do it so im taking it to a buddies next week and he is going to put it on for me. We put a gallon in it there before it started smoking white but i havent checked it since. But we had not checked the water in i dont know how long, i think i just have a small leak in the lower radiator hose.