PDA

View Full Version : Autopsy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-26-2010, 17:26
Finally started digging into the 93' today. Got most of the front end and the rad out. Ended snapping off an A/C line, so that kind of ended my day as I decided to let it clear.

Drained the coolant and oil from the beast. If anyone remembers, it went down last August after half the radiator went missing. When we had pull started it, it ran really rough and dumped lots of white smoke/steam out.

Both the coolant and the oil are perfectly clean though. Nothing wrong with either, to the point that I would feel comfortable using them again. Pulled a few plugs and both were perfectly dry and clean. Now, in my experience, when a headgasket blows, either the coolant will get oil into it, or the oil will get coolant into it. So to me, something is not adding up.

The only other thing I can think of, is if maybe the water/methanol pump somehow got turned on and pumped water into the engine? Very puzzling, but I hope to dig deeper tomorrow. Maybe even get the heads off.

Pelado
02-26-2010, 19:50
Now, in my experience, when a headgasket blows, either the coolant will get oil into it, or the oil will get coolant into it. So to me, something is not adding up.

Sorry to hear about your engine, but what you are saying in the above statement is not necessary true.
You can get coolant in the combustion chamber, so you get steam through the exhaust without mixing oil and coolant in any way.
Maybe some diesel smell or combustion residues in the coolant but no oil

just my 0.2

stezloco
02-27-2010, 06:01
interesting to hear youve got water 'injection' john.....ive looked at trying that out and have drawn a circuit with activation from my pyro at set temp with protection inbuilt to stop the pump should the engine stop and also have it on 2 switches and a light when running.....enable power on/off (auto) and manual pump...i dont know if theres a recommended way to wire in such a system but i'd be interested to hear more about your configuration if youre willing...

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-28-2010, 02:47
lol, i could try to explain it, but it might take a while. was going to get to it today, but started the day of with looking at a really rare Camaro for a friend, then the spring like weather prompted a paintball war with friends, and the day ended with a 2 hour hockey game and a hot-tub. tommorow is church in the morning until 12, and the gold medal game between Canada and the US starts at 12:15, so i will not be touching the truck until monday. :D