PDA

View Full Version : mechanical 6-5 into 94 Toyota Troopy

colinr
03-01-2010, 07:54
It's all pain at the minute. Buying on ebay america s/h and new parts. S/h parts bought sight unseen and then wait a week to get to shipping agent in California and then a month to get to oz if they catch the ship. Still 2 weeks to wait. Can buy the Marks adapter kit here for the bell housing adapter and eng mounts to suit a 94 Troopy. Just to gutless the 6 cyl. Use toyota clutch. 6-5 was an early elec 94, changing to mech inj pump. Is the mech lift pump by itself the best option. I did read on an earlier post somewhere that someone ran both mech and elec lift pumps on a chev mech inj, wired elec pump to glow plug controller. Said made first start of the day quicker. Is this so? Do I have to buy a 6-5 glow plug controller or will the toyota one do it. Is the only vac pump for brakes the belt drive one. Naturaly asp, wanted turbo but due to skinny front of 4wd was told centre mount only and no room for dual batterys. Small radiator, extra trouble overheating with turbo. Clearwater heads, ceramic coated pistons, my computer skills are crap or no-one answers my emails but old computer,so if one of the vendors reads this I am after a set of 6-2 pre-combustion cups for economy. Got Felpro 10th plus head, and engine gaskets. Book says deck the block 10. Clevite main, big end and cam bearings. Perfect circle lifters. Bought a high volume oil pump and then told don't use as just makes it leak oil big time as not oil squirter block, is this so? Will balance rods, pistons and crank and match port heads to gaskets and manifolds. Mob in oz make harmonic balancer so I'll check em out. Have EGR inlet, looks very resticted air flow, thinking of welding egr hole up and get in there with die grinder, or will this slow inlet air speed down too much as dead stock motor. Brunswick Diesels have adapters so can use Toy power and air con pumps. Thinking of getting exhaust manifolds HPC coated as told really get hot in small engine bay. What is a good size exhaust, don't want noise, attracts to many cops and no good for hunting. Go from 28 to 33 inch tyres and 3.7 instead of 4.1-1 diffs to take advantage of V8 torque. Stronger diff in front, std one not that strong. Early model gearbox OK. Later ones have alluminium case and not recommended. Rear diff should be OK. Any ideas and advice much appreciated. Thx.

More Power
03-04-2010, 14:31
I did read on an earlier post somewhere that someone ran both mech and elec lift pumps on a chev mech inj, wired elec pump to glow plug controller. Said made first start of the day quicker. Is this so?

The electric fuel lift pump is pretty easy to install, while the mechanical version is (or can be) more difficult. If it were mine, I'd just go electric.

Do I have to buy a 6-5 glow plug controller or will the toyota one do it.

All eight glow plugs "can" draw up to 150 amps. You'll need 6-10 seconds for the first glow. If the Toy controller can do this, you'll be fine. If not, get the 1985-93 controller.

Is the only vac pump for brakes the belt drive one.

The GM 6.2/6.5 diesel pickups and Suburbans use a hydraulic brake booster powered by the power steering pump. The vacuum pump might not provide the volume necessary for brakes - unless you use a vacuum accumulator (to store vacuum).

thinking of welding egr hole up and get in there with die grinder, or will this slow inlet air speed down too much as dead stock motor.

Others have welded the EGR opening in the intake manifold - works fine. I'd do it if that's what you have. If another non-EGR intake turns up sometime in the future, then sure, it might be a little better. For now, I'd use what you've got.

What is a good size exhaust, don't want noise, attracts to many cops and no good for hunting.

For a non-turbo 6.5, dual 3" pipes with free-flowing mufflers and an exhaust crossover pipe close to the engine would be great.

Jim