PDA

View Full Version : upgrading, need 06' advice....

Shed
03-02-2010, 13:48
I have finally been "allowed" to purchase my ideal towing rig. Well, the base of that rig. I have decided that the 06'-07' classic is the best choice for me of all the d-max's. I'm looking at a regular cab long box. The truck I'm looking at has 43K on it, no mods, and nicely loaded up.

My question is what problems do the 06's have? What do I need to know ahead of time about this platform? Anybody know anything about Lenz truck center in WI?

Plan on running it stock for a year, then doing some upgrades and comparing mileage and power as I go. The only thing upgraded immediately will be fluids..

Thanks for your opinions and insight!

CoyleJR
03-02-2010, 21:01
Shed,

I agree with you about buying an 06 or 07 Classic; they are the best years. If you buy an 06 I would buy an LBZ "D" code with the six speed Allison. In my opinion, a properly running stock LBZ really is not going to need any power modifications. When I am towing, I run the Edge programmer for the gauges only. The EGTs get too hot with added power from aftermarket programmers.
The only problem I know of with the 06 and early 07 D/A trucks is leaking transmission cooling lines. If you buy an LBZ six speed, you won't be sorry.

Good Luck,
John

Mark Rinker
03-03-2010, 08:20
Everything Coyle said.

The turbo is the weak link, as it will overheat and causes excessive oil, water, and finally transmission temps (in that order) when towing and running higher fuel rates than stock. I towed extensively coast to coast last season with my '06 and found that the stock tune was the safest tune for all conditions.

That being said, there are aftermarket tunes that are more FUN to drive empty, when towing <10K loads, flatlands, winter, etc.

If you decide to turn it up, make sure you monitor temps carefully, and have a way to turn the truck back to stock if you find yourself in a situation where you can't continue and keep temps in check. (Loaded, mountains, 85F+ degree day, etc.)

Kennedy
03-03-2010, 09:11
The 06 LLY and LBZ are so close in power I wouldn't let that sway my decision. A good aftermarket tune will reduce your EGT's. You may have to reduce power in extreme conditions, but you can also do this with your right foot. Opening up the exhaust to a full 4" will help a lot in this regard.

I know a buddies brother in law bought his Dmax from Lenz. Had issues with brakes, but I think they took care of it. He called saying the brakes were dragging and smoking. First the hydroboost came to mind, but 5 minutes later it hit me-oil in the brake fluid. Called him back and said pop the master cyl cap off and see if the rubber is about 2x it's normal size. It was and he ended up with calipers, rotors, etc. The assumption is that someone topped off the brakes with PS fluid.

I'll do some follow up.

I know where there's a nice 07 EC Short coming on the market soon ;-)

Mark Rinker
03-03-2010, 11:06
Interestingly, EGTs are never really a problem in my experience. Nominal temps of ~1100-1200 are the norm when heat soak events happen like I've described. Right foot moderation is not the problem, and it doesn't take extreme conditions for some tunes to 'tip over'...in fact some are as likely to happen at elevation, with low ground speed and high loads - where the cooling stack simply can't keep up.

Observed: Kennedy's custom LBZ tune had the best towing EGTs (consistantly better than stock) of the tunes I've personally tested.

BUBBA3M
03-04-2010, 18:26
I have towed my 12K 5er from Illinois to Virginia and back with my stock 06 LBZ and never sweated anything. The only mod I am running is a 4" straight pipe.

moss6
03-09-2010, 19:35
Interestingly, EGTs are never really a problem in my experience. Nominal temps of ~1100-1200 are the norm when heat soak events happen like I've described. Right foot moderation is not the problem, and it doesn't take extreme conditions for some tunes to 'tip over'...in fact some are as likely to happen at elevation, with low ground speed and high loads - where the cooling stack simply can't keep up.

Observed: Kennedy's custom LBZ tune had the best towing EGTs (consistantly better than stock) of the tunes I've personally tested.

Hi guys, had to jump in on this one. As I have expressed before, even with all the mods on my LBZ, that have taken care of all other areas of cooling when towing extreme, the EGT'S are still the only thing that give me a problem and probably can't be overcome without an injection system (that I am adverse to); or as Mark alludes to 'turbo upgrade' that has yet to be proven to be a remedy as far as anything that I have found to be documented. Though I love the tune that I use, provided by John kennedy, I'm really hesitant to say that it will lower EGT's beyound what the stock ECM provides. I say hesitant because I never had an EGT guage with the stock tune, but I can say that the Kennedy tune is far superior to the Edge in respect to overall performance and most notably EGT's as I had the Edge before having John do my ECM after having high EGT's with the Edge. Also contradictorily to most thinking I found that exhaust system upgrades, even removal of the cat, had no effect on the EGT's of my truck; my upgrade 4" Banks -----?????? My recomendation if in tough temp. conditions, use manual mode on the Allison and with revs. keep the loading down. Even with tow haul the Allison is very hesitant to downshift until after the heat is already near are at the point of non-recovery unless backoff is employed.
My mods can be found on this site.
Good luck, I too think the LBZ is your best choice----I fear it will be a very long time, if never, that we will be able to purchase a new truck that will compare, thanks to our wonderful federal overseers.