PDA

View Full Version : New motor ,no oil pressure

Reddog
03-02-2010, 23:33
What am I doing wrong now? I assembled a new motor on a GEP style block. First I left out the oil bypass valves, then I left out the soft plug under the rear main bearing cap, both of these have now been installed and I still can't get oil pressure! What else might I have left out?After two 30 second run times no pressure. How long should it take to get pressure?Are there any other bypass valves? It starts right up and when I had the pan back off to put in the plug there was still a lot of assembly lube in the bearings and oil on the cylinder walls but I don't want to burn it up. Also I checked the turbo oil line after run, no oil.http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/images/smilies/mad2.gif

john8662
03-03-2010, 07:11
What about the two plugs on the front of the block in the timing chain area?

You will most likely need to prime the engine oil pump. Most call it a prelube, but basically adapt a drill to the oil pump drive and turn the oil pump until you get oil flowing in the oil pump adapter's cavity.

Then re-assemble and start the engine and see if it generates pressure quickly.

J

Reddog
03-03-2010, 09:04
I did put the plugs in the front of the block above the cam gear.I need to go to a junk yard to fine an old pump drive to make into a primer.

DmaxMaverick
03-03-2010, 10:23
Also, verify the oil pump drive is engaging the pump shaft and the cam gear, and the drive gear key isn't sheared (some have this, so don't??). If you use a "priming tool", you can verify the pump operation and oil gallery filling (turn on the ignition key and have someone watch the gage as you spin away). If this happens and you still don't get pressure, you have an opening in the gallery or termination somewhere. I recommend you DO NOT run the engine, at all, until you verify oil flow and an ability to develop pressure. Assembly lube is only so good, and probably depleted by now.