PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Buy LMM have some ?????'s

6600Duramax
03-04-2010, 10:38
A dealer has a 07.5 2500 LMM truck, it currently has a check engine light on and a tire sensor light on.

The truck has a 6'' lift with 35'' tires and aftermarket wheels. I am assuming the tire light is on because they did not put the factory transmitters in the new wheels?? Does that sound right?

The truck also has aftermarket exhaust without the DPF, is this causing the check engine light. IS/WAS any damage done having it this way without clearing the codes. I thought some say it would continue to regen (whatever that means) and could cause some problems?

Should I be worried about it?? How can I tell if the truck has/had a chip?

thanks guys looking to buy this weekend.

More Power
03-04-2010, 13:34
A dealer has a 07.5 2500 LMM truck, it currently has a check engine light on and a tire sensor light on.

The truck has a 6'' lift with 35'' tires and aftermarket wheels. I am assuming the tire light is on because they did not put the factory transmitters in the new wheels?? Does that sound right?

The truck also has aftermarket exhaust without the DPF, is this causing the check engine light. IS/WAS any damage done having it this way without clearing the codes. I thought some say it would continue to regen (whatever that means) and could cause some problems?

Should I be worried about it?? How can I tell if the truck has/had a chip?

thanks guys looking to buy this weekend.

Is this truck at a GM dealership?

You can run any size tires without it causing an ABS code. What sometimes happens is someone will install big tires and new differential gearing. This can produce an ABS code because the vehicle speed sensor and each front wheel speed sensor are no longer in agreement. There are a couple of solutions for this problem.

I don't know why they would have removed the front wheel speed sensors. If they did remove them, then sure, that'll produce a trouble code.

There is programming available through the aftermarket that can disable the DPF emissions control stuff. If done right, it shouldn't regen or set codes.

Hard to tell if a particular truck has had a module or special programming. GM says they can tell - I dunno.

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in a truck like this that has been modified. Why is this new of a truck on the market?

Jim

Kennedy
03-08-2010, 12:36
Sooner or later dealers are going to smarten up and stop taking in stuff like this. I'm not saying that it's wrong to modify, but will say that if I were to buy a used truck unless I knew the exact nature of the mods I wouldn't touch it. I see so many get carried away with smoke tunes and race tunes of stock transmissions etc.

I would suggest you look for a more stock truck or one that you can get DETAILED and HONEST history and maintenance records on.

Then if you do mod it KEEP the original exhaust etc...

More Power
03-08-2010, 14:52
I should add that while reading through the GM literature on the new 2011 LML, GM has made their programming more "tamper proof". I don't know what that means exactly.....

Jim

Runaway_Dmax
03-09-2010, 21:53
bigger tires are more than likely not inflated to the spec set in the computer. Most of the guy running bigger tires run less tire pressure in them.

CEL on more than likely because of the DPF. I would think that the emission stuff would have to be up to spec in order for a dealer to sell it.

I would have the VIN checked thru a GM dealer to see what the history on the vehicle is. The remaining powertrain warranty in more than likely VOIDED due to the mods. There was an update to the ECM that now has a tattle tail system to check the most recent programming changes. If anything but GM the warranty is gone.

I would bet there was a programmer/power adder of some sort on the truck due to no DPF.