PDA

View Full Version : cylinder 7 glow plug heater code

lenholub
03-04-2010, 15:52
the dreaded check engine light came on this morning, had it scanned and i don't remember the number but cylinder 7 glow plug heater was the description. so the stealer dealer wants around $350 to do the job, i'm wondering how important it is to get fixed at this moment or could i put off when the tax man rains on me? Just wondering, i guess i'll ask just how hard it would be to repair one's self? '06 duramax.

DmaxMaverick
03-04-2010, 17:13
If it is in fact a specific cylinder, it's either the glow plug or the harness. Either are very inexpensive and easy to replace/repair. It's likely a glow plug failure, and there was a recall for specific model plugs (have the dealer check).

Disconnect the #7 plug (leave in the engine) and test it for continuity. If it's open (no continuity), it's bad. Less than $20 (anywhere but the dealer) and a few minutes to replace (R/R like a spark plug). The dealer gets upwards of $40 for these, and will charge up to an hour to replace.

However.....Glow plugs are an engine component, AND an emissions component, and should be covered by either of these warranties. Insist on it, if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you don't get satisfaction, check with another dealer.

lenholub
03-04-2010, 19:50
thanks for the info, i will keep that in my microchip when i take it in tmw. will post back the results.

Kennedy
03-08-2010, 13:27
For that money it should be an intake heater or glow module.

First thing is to check codes and write down the DTC number. Having you own code reader will help a lot and save you time and money in the long run.

What year vehicle (06 I assume) and how many miles?

More Power
03-08-2010, 14:31
I heard from a mechanic recently who has begun working on Duramax powered trucks. One of his customers brought in a truck with a glow issue, and some of the glow plugs were pretty solidly stuck in the heads - the hex head on a couple of the plugs broke off when trying to remove them. :o

I have heard of this happening a couple times in recent years. It's a big problem that could result in needing a new cylinder head. So, it's important to make sure the plug(s) are in-fact bad before attempting to remove them. And then, if you do, don't twist off the hex head.... :rolleyes:

Jim

OhmEye
03-12-2010, 14:54
How did you come out on the glowplug? I had this issue last year on my '04 and the dealer told me that GMC had a campaign on these plugs. Not sure if it applies to your year as well, but worth checking. For what it's worth, the mechanic actually changed out all 8 plugs for me under the campaign. No charge.

jbplock
03-12-2010, 15:23
the hex head on a couple of the plugs broke off when trying to remove them. :o Jim

Would heating them with an oxy acetylene torch help?

More Power
03-12-2010, 15:39
Would heating them with an oxy acetylene torch help?

Board member GMC Tech suggested bringing the engine up to operating temperature, apply a penetrating solvent lube (like WD-40), then make another attempt to remove it. Do not exceed the maximum release torque for that hex size in mm according to the following schedule, or the hex portion of the glow plug could twist off.

8 mm 20 Nm
10 mm 35 Nm
12 mm 45 Nm

If it twists off, you've got a 50/50 chance at saving the head (if a drill/easy-out extractor fails).

My thoughts... If the head is off the engine, one might try baking the head at 275-300 degrees F, then attempt removal. Aluminum has a higher coefficient of expansion than the metal used in the glow plugs. I'd likely try this before buying a new head. I know the motorcycle crowd will use an oven to replace cast iron barrels in aluminum cylinder castings.

Be sure to use an anti-sieze compound on the new glow plugs, to prevent this problem from happening again.

Jim

lenholub
03-13-2010, 08:06
the glow plug was a relative easy fix after making sure it was the plug, just a continuity test. but the bad news was the p2563 code which i felt was out of my league, turbo vane positioning sensor. So after letting the stealer track it down i ended throwing $450 into a new part. No haggling allowed humm. what is interesting is the fact that i've picked up over 2 mpg since the replacement, that's just two tanks since fixed but i see no real reason other than warmer weather? hopefully i can lurk for a few more years undetected! thanks guys.