PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

MetalheadOC
03-05-2010, 14:30
Hi all. I've been siphoning enough info off this site I figured it'd only be polite to say hi. I'm the proud new owner of an old 6.2 with a strange turbo setup awaiting transplant into my 1990 (formerly) gasser Suburban. I'd been trying for a year & a half to scrounge up the cash for a rebuilt gas engine after the old one got run out of oil & threw a rod. Then one day the thought occured to me, "Hey maybe I can dig up and old diesel rig and swap that over. Diesels run forever so even with six-digit mileage there'd be plenty of life in the engine that a used gasser wouldn't have, and probably cost me less than rebuilding one too." So about a month later I limp home an '84 6.2 'burb with a nice-running, 97k engine and some serious charging/starting issues for $500. Then I discover the rearend is basically brand new and the tranny looks pretty fresh, plus it's the heavy-duty J engine (I think). Nice clean body too, real shame to cut it all up but I'm partial to 4 wheel drive and don't need another truck:D.

So in short, this:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12/OCmetalhead/engine1.jpg

came from this:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12/OCmetalhead/DSCN0050.jpg

and is going in this:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12/OCmetalhead/burb-1.jpg

if I can figure out exactly HOW:confused:

arveetek
03-06-2010, 12:53
Welcome to the site!

You've done the best first step, and that is to buy a complete donor vehicle. You'll have all the parts you need to swap over to the gasser. I've done two gas to diesel swaps, and it's always the little pieces and parts that nickel and dime you to death. Having a whole donor rig makes it a lot easier.

I'm not sure about that turbo setup, but I'm guessing it's an early ATS setup. They're the only ones I know of that utilizes the stock air cleaner air housing like that. Yours looks a bit different though. Perhaps John8662 will chime in here soon. He's really familiar with the ATS systems.

Casey

john8662
03-06-2010, 14:57
It's a BAE setup, not sure on the actual turbocharger on that engine, looks larger than the T04B style turbo.

J

MetalheadOC
03-06-2010, 18:13
Hey thanks for the welcome. I was thinking it was an ATS too based on a pic I dug up, but then I have no idea what I'm talking about :D. Says "A/R 85 <serial number> ROTO MASTER HI-FLO" on the side of the compressor. Any more info on the setup? It seems pretty uncommon.

I think I've stripped pretty much everything I need from the donor rig (I sure hope so as it'll shortly be in pieces). I'll probably end up nickel & diming my self to death anyway tho, I need to find that fine line between "Well it's cheap & easier to get to with the engine on a stand, might as well replace it" and "YOU SPENT WHAT?!? :eek:"

arveetek
03-06-2010, 19:21
It's a BAE setup, not sure on the actual turbocharger on that engine, looks larger than the T04B style turbo.

J

I've never heard of that one before, John. What other info do you have on that?

Casey