PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side smoke

Tybee
03-05-2010, 19:47
I have a 6.5 N/A, smokes (grey) on start up out the passenger side pipe for aprox 15 minutes while idling. (Doesnt smoke at all out of the drivers side.) During this time it sounds like it backfires a little bit. The timing advance solenoid is on a switch and after the smoke goes away I turn the switch off and it starts smoking again. When driving it doesnt seem to have to much power over 40 Mph. Any suggestions? Thanks

Pelado
03-05-2010, 20:47
I have a 6.5 N/A, smokes (grey) on start up out the passenger side pipe for aprox 15 minutes while idling. (Doesnt smoke at all out of the drivers side.) During this time it sounds like it backfires a little bit. The timing advance solenoid is on a switch and after the smoke goes away I turn the switch off and it starts smoking again. When driving it doesnt seem to have to much power over 40 Mph. Any suggestions? Thanks

Looks like you may be having a glowplug or two that's not working on the passenger side bank of cylinders. Check the plugs to see if you have a blown GP or a disconnected one.

While the engine is still cold, if you switch off the cold advance solenoid, it's normal that the engine smokes a little bit more, but it should be smoking from both sides equally.
And the smoke should be less once it reaches the service temp.
If not, you may have a problem with an injector or the injector pump timing.

DaveBr
03-06-2010, 22:02
How many miles on your injectors? Put your ride in your signature so we can help with future issues.

Tybee
03-08-2010, 20:49
I havent owned this truck long, a couple months. I have no idea on year of the motor. I just replaced the glow plugs with 60gs only cause it had some no name in it. I just replaced the injectors yesterday, it runs smoother now, but still smokey. Also when driving it doesnt seem to run right with the cold advance off.

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2010, 00:31
Retarded timing and short glow cycle will cause this. Why it does it on one side and not the other is anyone's guess. My 85 has done this from day one on a very cold start, and every couple years, it switches sides. At first, I thought it was the heat riser gate in the exhaust (originally a C code engine), but it's long gone and still does it. Set the timing and extend the glow time and see where that gets you. The short glow cycle is because of the 60G's. They require twice the glow time for the same heat as the originals.

[on edit]
If this is an electronic pump engine (DS4), disregard the timing comment. If it's getting good fuel and air supply, then the pump is probably having issues. Otherwise, verify the fuel lift pump is working normally when it should. A lift pump, or lift pump power supply has failed, you will have low power at higher demands (like above 40 MPH). It can also cause smoke when cold.

Tybee
03-09-2010, 19:42
The glow plugs have a switch, I hold it for about 10 seconds and wait 10. I do that a couple times and it fires right up. Also its not the electronic pump. My mechanical pump does leak a bit and I bought a electrical one to replace it. Thanks for the replys