PDA

View Full Version : push button transfer case

dins1
03-06-2010, 14:06
can i convert a push button 263 to a floor shift 263. I am putting a 72 suburban body on a 2004 dmax allison chassis. trying to get rid of all of the electronics that i can.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2010, 15:30
Nocando. The 263 is too different. No place to put a lever. I suppose you could convert it, but you could probably buy a couple others for the cost. That said, the transfer case electrics aren't too bad. Most of all issues have to do with either the front diff, or a switch. Rarely does the case or stepper motor have a problem (probably less than any manual shift I've heard of, and I've rebuilt a bunch).

In any case, with the Duramax/Allison powertrain, this little-bitty piece of electrics won't amount to a hill of beans in comparison. The 4x4 system is no less reliable than any other part you are stuck with. And....You'd have the front diff to deal with, too (it's also electrically controlled).

THEFERMANATOR
03-06-2010, 17:39
The 263 cannot be converted to floor shift, but you can rather easily convert to a 261 floor shifted case. You will have to hook up the 3 wire switch on the transfer case for the ECM and TCM to know when you are in 4X4 and 4 low. As for the front axle, that one is also easy. The 3 wire switch sends power to the activate circuit in the shift motor in the front axle when it is in 4X4(the same wire that tells the ECM when you are in 4X4), then when you go back to 2 wheel drive the power is no longer there and it shifts back to unlocked in the front axle. You can buy the factory harness from GM to do this as a plug and play, but like was stated the push button system is pretty trouble free. I converted my BURB as I already had a floor shifter in it.

NutNbutGMC
03-06-2010, 17:55
can i convert a push button 263 to a floor shift 263. I am putting a 72 suburban body on a 2004 dmax allison chassis. trying to get rid of all of the electronics that i can.
If I had one electronic gadget to keep, the 4x4 push would be the one. I used mine just today and never missed a beat.

$0.02