PDA

View Full Version : 2001 LB0- smoking

chessy56
03-07-2010, 08:22
I've got a 2001 D-max, 187,000 miles, original injectors. I started noticing a richer diesel smell from the exhaust about 2 weeks ago, but now I see a whiteish/gray smoke from the tail pipe at idle. Coolant does not appear to be missing (no foaming in the oil). Appears to start well in colder weather. Seems to still have "pep" when I accelerate heavily. Engine oil has no smell of diesel to it and does not seem to be "increasing in volume". Mileage appears to be consistent (roughly 21+ on a long highway cruise- back & forth between Milwaukee, WI and Kokomo, IN every week).

What do you guys think? Time for new injectors? Any guess as to the expense of having all 8 serviced? (Does GM still have these under warranty)?

Need advice- it's my only vehicle and I rely on it for the 500 mile weekly round trip!

Thanks folks.

Mark Rinker
03-07-2010, 08:26
Sure sounds like injectors. At 187K you have defied the odds. Probably is time for a fresh set of sprays!

My advice would be to take it to the highest volume dealership in your area - one that sells and services alot of Duramax trucks and has a dedicated diesel tech on staff. Don't be afraid to ask how many sets of LB7 injectors he has done, and that you are concerned with getting the job done right the first time, with no leaks, no issues.

You may want to do the following at this time, as preventative maintenance:

Thermostats
Waterpump
Glow plugs and connectors (do all 8 and both side connectors, new)
Serpentine belt and/or idler pulleyYou may spend $5000 on all these items, but your truck should be ready for another 180K...I sold my 2002 K2500 that had the first set of injectors done about the same timeframe, it was still running like new at 285K...

Good luck!

Mark Rinker
03-07-2010, 08:38
BTW - no panic if you are only seeing smoke at idle, but no noisy diesel knock, 'making oil', etc.

However, if it starts doing either of these things, don't drive it...

Some amount of smoking at idle is normal for older injectors, you might even get by for awhile with heavy doses of fuel treatments to correct a couple sprays that aren't spraying so much...

Good luck!

NutNbutGMC
03-07-2010, 20:43
I've got a 2001 D-max, 187,000 miles, original injectors. I started noticing a richer diesel smell from the exhaust about 2 weeks ago, but now I see a whiteish/gray smoke from the tail pipe at idle. Coolant does not appear to be missing (no foaming in the oil). Appears to start well in colder weather. Seems to still have "pep" when I accelerate heavily. Engine oil has no smell of diesel to it and does not seem to be "increasing in volume". Mileage appears to be consistent (roughly 21+ on a long highway cruise- back & forth between Milwaukee, WI and Kokomo, IN every week).

What do you guys think? Time for new injectors? Any guess as to the expense of having all 8 serviced? (Does GM still have these under warranty)?

Need advice- it's my only vehicle and I rely on it for the 500 mile weekly round trip!

Thanks folks.The description of your problem is a statement that you have already been warned of inevitable failure (assuming that the issue is injector related, and I'd bet a dollar to a donut it is). I have been through this several times, no warning, just failure on the road. Need I say more?

Kennedy
03-08-2010, 13:17
The GM warranty is 7 yrs 200,000 so you'll miss by age.

The LB7 injectors have been upgraded several times including the nozzles which may be related to what you are seeing. One thing to watch though is if injectors get bad they can deliver fuel when they are not supposed to and too much fuel etc. This can be hard on pistons so don't delay repairs.

My suggestions for long happy fuel system life:

1) FPPF Total Power fuel treatment in EVERY tank of fuel

2) Secondary filtration ie: Mega Filter

3) Lift pump setup