PDA

View Full Version : 05 06 6.6 engine swap

hoffadeckle
03-08-2010, 16:49
I have a 05 5500 GMC Topkick with a 6.6 that the engine went bad. I found a 06 6.6. we swapped the injecters,fuel pump,fuel rail,the injecter driver. also the timing and cam sensor .Now it cranks over and sounds like the timing is off,it won't run .Does anybody have any ideas what to do next,besides pulling the whole mess out and putting a cummins in???!!! :(

More Power
03-12-2010, 10:12
Welcome to the board!

What you've done should work. The turbocharger may or may not be compatible, but the engine should still start. You will need to have the turbo vane & EGR position re-learn procedure performed. At the very least this'll let you know that the ECM is communicating with the engine. I'd carefully go over the engine and all electrical components to ensure everything is connected. A scan tool can be used to very most of the engine control and sensor systems, and verify their operation before it is started the first time.

Jim

THEFERMANATOR
03-12-2010, 11:50
The simple answer is you need to pull the front of the engine down and change the pick-up tone wheel on the crankshaft and I believe the camshaft as well. 05 was DELHI electronics and 06 is BOSCH. The BOSCH electronics uses acompletely different tone wheel for it than the GM DELHI unit does and the DELHI cannot work with the BOSCH tone wheel even though you swapped the actual sensors.