PDA

View Full Version : PMD questions

85-m1028
03-08-2010, 17:02
whats the best pmd for the price? Do they all need to be placed on a heat sync?

My truck truck stalled pulling out of the fuel station, fotunately it started right back up and home wasn't far away. It had a momentary stall idling in the driveway prior to that. I'm thinking this is a good excuse to get a new one and test it on my electronic pump in my blazer project.

I couldn't get it to give me any fuel when I hooked it all up. I'm thinking I'll swap the ds4 pump back into the blazer "with all the computer and wiring" and see if that was the problem. It had the original 30214 pmd on it.

If I can get the ds4 working on the blazer then I don't need to get a TCM for the 4l80e tans. I can eliminate a big hurdle on that project. Either way I need one for the truck but I don't know which is the best one to get..

85-m1028
03-09-2010, 10:48
After a lot of research I must say I a am totaly confused! E-pay has several vendors with price variations from $39.00 to $400.00 each one with its own speel as to how theirs is better!

You got 34583 model with cooler, wthout cooler. serveral "HD PMD's" and variations on what makes it heavy duty! Several vendors who claim their coolers are better than the rest. The new "bullet proof" PMD with cooler without cooler.

Do I just assume that if it's expensive it must be better? I thought the new "bullet proof" pmd was supposed to settle this.. Sounds like the heat sink is the way to go regardless or are they just trying to sell me something??

OYYY!!

Robyn
03-09-2010, 12:47
Best PMD bar none is the DTECH.

Mount it on a cooler and you will be fine.

Robyn

rogers
03-09-2010, 12:50
Dtech is the only "bullet proof" pmd that I know of. Click here (http://www.dtechproducts.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.62/.f) to go to their web page. I have not heard of any of these pmds failing. I would be concerned about buying a pmd on the bay as I have not heard of any other company selling a "bullet proof" product. A cooler is a good idea, you can buy one or make one your self. There are some good threads on pmds and coolers here on the forum.

85-m1028
03-09-2010, 14:26
Thank you!! The "bullet proof" one I was refering to was the new gray pmd.

rogers
03-09-2010, 16:11
The grey one is the new stanadyne model, it requires buying a new gold plated wire harness to match. I and others have had good experience with dtech, there is at least one here on the forum that has gone the stanadyne route maybe they will chime in.

85-m1028
03-09-2010, 16:18
New dtech has been ordered! I just need a heat sink and extension harness.

Kennedy
03-10-2010, 12:01
We have a larger heat sink with more surface area and cables in stock.

I've stuck with the Stanadyne PMDs for the most part although I can get the Dtech.

As for the gold plated terminals I don't get to wound up in that. I believe that tin plated copper is plenty sufficient and that the talks of dissimilar metals corroding are just crap.