PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Max (Cooling System)

hsburt
03-10-2010, 17:21
I have attached a drawing (hiliting in yellow) two 1/2" copper lines that run from the inlet and outlet of the "water pump" up to a small holding tank, located above the engine. (This small tank holds about 1 gallon of glycol). Is this intended to allow glycol to circulate if the thermosthat is closed?

I also assume that the inlet to the pump is the larger one located on the bottom of the pump and that the outlet is the smaller of the two?

Thats it for tonight.
Thanks very much everyone.
It's a great sense of relief knowing that you are welling to share this type of information which is making an otherwise enormoss task, doable.

Steve

JohnC
03-10-2010, 18:32
Looks like the connections where the heater would be on a truck. I'm guessing they chose to block them off and install an expansion tank in one fell swoop.

Stupid boat ignorant question: are the water jackets on the exhaust to control engine room temps?

NH2112
03-10-2010, 20:39
Stupid boat ignorant question: are the water jackets on the exhaust to control engine room temps?

Might be to cool the exhaust gases, the exhaust "pipes" look to be rubber hose.

john8662
03-10-2010, 23:02
Not cooling related...

In looking at the picture:

You're really going to want a CDR valve in the intake tract. The current configuratoin, besides pulling oil into the engine, will cause bad seals as it will create too much vacuum inside the crankcase which will suck debris and water through the front and main seals.

It's pretty important.

hsburt
03-15-2010, 08:46
Might be to cool the exhaust gases, the exhaust "pipes" look to be rubber hose.

Its a lot of both actually. Where I have what is known as a "wet exhaust" there are water jacketed "risers" on each manifold where the water sprays into the exhaust gases and exits together at the stern of the boat.

For boats that have a "dry exhaust" where the exhaust gases travel to a higher point on the boat through an exhaust stack, the manifolds are still jacketed but there aren't any risers.
After the water circulates through the mainifolds it is shot overboard thorough a simple 3/4' or 1" thru-hull connection.

In both instances the manifolds run cool enough that paint remains on them. The engine room remains much cooler than it would without this type of configuration.

hsburt
03-15-2010, 09:03
Not cooling related...

In looking at the picture:

You're really going to want a CDR valve in the intake tract. The current configuratoin, besides pulling oil into the engine, will cause bad seals as it will create too much vacuum inside the crankcase which will suck debris and water through the front and main seals.

It's pretty important.

Thanks John
I'm having some trouble understanding the difference between a CDR Valve and the EGR Valve.
I believe that what I see from my motors, is that the EGR Valve is located on the top of the air intake plenum underneath the Air Filter. (With current marine manifold system, can/should the EGR valve be made functional)?
From the manuals that I have, I cannot seem to find where the CDR Valve is located. I understand also from the manuals that CDR regulates pressure differential in the crank case compared to atmospheric pressure.
On my engines there are hoses running from the oil fill spout to the intake plenum which one of my compadres figured was a "crankcase vent". If it is indeed a crancase vent, is it acceptable to run this way?

More Power
03-15-2010, 10:25
I understand also from the manuals that CDR regulates pressure differential in the crank case compared to atmospheric pressure.
On my engines there are hoses running from the oil fill spout to the intake plenum which one of my compadres figured was a "crankcase vent". If it is indeed a crancase vent, is it acceptable to run this way?

The CDR valve should be located in the hose path between the oil fill spout and the intake plenum. The CDR limits the amount of negative pressure the engine's intake can pull on the crankcase. Any 6.2 or 6.5 CDR, whether on a non-turbo or turbocharged engine can be plumbed-in inline.

The EGR should be blocked off - remove the EGR valve and cover the hole with a plate you make.

Jim

hsburt
03-18-2010, 18:25
The CDR valve should be located in the hose path between the oil fill spout and the intake plenum. The CDR limits the amount of negative pressure the engine's intake can pull on the crankcase. Any 6.2 or 6.5 CDR, whether on a non-turbo or turbocharged engine can be plumbed-in inline.

The EGR should be blocked off - remove the EGR valve and cover the hole with a plate you make.

Jim
Now I got it! Perfect. I'll add that to the list.
Steve