PDA

View Full Version : wastegate system question

James Schaack
10-29-2003, 20:02
guys,

1. i've only had my truck ('93 2500 6.5L td) about two months and am still in the process of checking things over. I was advised by a memeber to check and make sure the wastegate worked properly. Well, it seems to be working just fine, doesn't stick or anything. My question is this, i have been reading other people's post about their wastegate systems having vacum lines that control it. Well, when i was looking at mine i didn't see any leading to it. i just have the little silver can which the horizantal lever is mounted in, and the lever attaches to the wastegate mechanism. i was just curious if there are differences in the wastegate systems for different years or if maybe i just blindly missed the vacum system.

2. i saw somebody mention a turbo master to replace the stock wastegate controller. what is the advantage of it over stock?

3. i'm looking into getting gauges for my truck as well. i really like the isspro ev marine gauges and was wondering where is a good place to get them at a reasonable price?

4. last question, i noticed my truck had a gm-3 turbo on it. i have seen people talking about the different turbos and upgrading to other models. what are some of the differences in turbos? when do you know you need a new or rebuilt turbo?

thanks for your help!!! tongue.gif

whatnot
10-29-2003, 20:32
They didn't start using the vacuum system till 94. The turbomaster will allow you to adjust the boost.

HowieE
10-30-2003, 14:00
The advantages I have seen with the Turbo Master over the stock system are 3. You can set your boost level by changing the spring tension. Boost comes up sooner and is held high while under load, unlike the stock system that cause boost to decay even though the load may still be there. Best of all you are no longer dependent on those expensive items that make up the stock boost control system, vacuum pump, selenoid, and accuater. The Turbor Master is a straight forward mechanical system.

StephenA
10-31-2003, 05:37
There's a recent thread on gauges that even showed pictures- search gauges.

turbovair
10-31-2003, 23:46
I would like to upgrade to a turbomaster on my 96. How do you "fool" the computer so that a SES light does not appear after the conversion?

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2003, 00:15
Turbovair

Just pop out the bulb for the SES. Cures lots of other problems as well.

Just kidding. The OBDII's aren't giving up their secrets so easily. I haven't found a work-around for it yet. The only option, so far, is a custom PCM program ($$).

whatnot
11-01-2003, 10:07
Aren't the boost fooler thing suposed to work on 96 trucks? The schematic to make one for almost nothing is in one of the old article reprints.

turbovair
11-01-2003, 10:32
What if you plug the vacuum line going to the old wastegate can?

whatnot
11-01-2003, 15:07
You need to plug it anyway, otherwise it will start giving EGR codes and suck dust in. There is a boost sensor on the intake manifold that causes the SES. When it shows the boost too high, it doesn't like it. By putting some resistors in the wiring, you can make it show the computer a much lower boost reading so it doesn't know the actual boost pressure.