PDA

View Full Version : looking at a '95 suburban with questions

Mikey von
03-13-2010, 12:34
Here is this burb I am looking at. Does this sound like a PMD issue or an IP issue?

Here is the CL ad;

"1995 Chevy/GMC Suburban 4x4 Diesel Super Nice Condition! Has a Turbo Diesel that does run and drive but needs a new Injector Pump? I am not sure why it is running rough. But it will drive home no problem it just hesitates and runs rough sometimes. The Truck is super clean inside and out. Nice paint, interior is in awesome condition, leather power seats, cd player, nice hella lights up front, nice kc lights in the back, Tow package, Power windows, power door locks, cruise, A/C, 151k miles, clean title, Great rig just needs someone with the know how to get her running smooth again! Drive her home today for $1950 worth alot more than that but need the money."

THEFERMANATOR
03-13-2010, 12:50
Sounds like a lift pump problem, most likely an OPS. A PMD will give hesitation as well, but it will normally cause stalling along with it. When the lift pump dies it will run out of fuel and spit and spudder. Also check the fuel filter. A simple test is to start it up and crack the water drain open. If it stalls out check the lift pump, if fuel comes out then you need to get a pressure guage on it and see what it does under a load.

Robyn
03-14-2010, 20:09
Yes X2

Not real serious problem me thinks.
Fuel filter, lift pump.
Possible filter harness (fits between the optical sensor plug and the wire harness)

PMD is always a suspect as mentioned but usually will not just miss.

Missy

JTodd
03-17-2010, 18:44
Lift pump will also cause a starting problem, but the operation of the LP is easy to check.

Mikey von
03-17-2010, 22:48
OK, the guy with the '95 still has not responded to multiple calls and emails.

Another 6.5l burb popped up. It is a '97 1500 fully loaded 4x4. The seller states it has a blown head gasket. He is asking $2500. Here is what he said in response to questions about it's problems;

"Its running as far as you can start it and hear the motor runs good there is some water/smoke coming out the tailpipe but ive been told by the shop its best not to drive it cause it will just get worse if you dont fix it and just continue to drive on it.

Just last week it started. It overheated n I took it in."

What are the chances that the overheating cracked the heads?

I am thinking of jumping on it, but want to offer the right amount of money.

My second issue will be how to get it home or get it fixed in Sacramento (where the seller is).

pmasters
03-18-2010, 06:11
If you could get that '95 for $2k it would be a steal.

rameye
03-19-2010, 16:55
Not a bad deal...however you have to realize the motor may be toasted!

Your looking at new heads and gaskets minumum...$1000 and lots of sweat!

I'm in the process of re-powering so I have worked the numbers many ways...

You can re-power with a brand new bomb proof (i hope) motor made in the USA for $5200...just food for thought.

rameye
03-19-2010, 16:57
PS dont drive it home!!! Once you get antifreeze in the oil it'll eat your bearings...protect the expensive turbo...tow it!

Mikey von
03-23-2010, 20:02
So, another 6.5l burb on CL. This one is a '95 with 240K miles. Seller says heads have been replaced within the last year and starts right up cold with no smoke. He is asking $3500. It is about 4 hours away and I was about to jump in my car and go see it.

Then he called me and told me he forgot to tell me it has a "minor" problem with the transmission. He says it sometimes will not shift into 2nd while cold. He says you can shut it down and restart and it shifts fine. I decided to hold off, but want to know what the problem can be?

I have been wavering on my 6.5l requirement. The 5.7l burbs are a dime a dozen and it seems I can get more value for my $$$. '97-'99 burbs loaded and with 100K miles can be had for $4000. What kind of mpg do the 5.7l 1/2 ton burbs get? This will mainly be my wife's rig. I will still have my built 6.2l TD 1989 3/4 ton burb for work and tow duties.

rustyk
03-23-2010, 20:28
A fluid and filter change may cure that. Or not.