PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L has no power

NetBSD
03-13-2010, 23:20
new to the forum but not diesels. anyway i just got a 1992 chevy 2500 6.2L with 208k on the clock and it is a dog and a half, at 2,000RPM is pulls decent but when coming to a hill or anything it just bogs down and slowly climbs the hill.

heres a video i took a few minutes ago on my way home to help explain...

i have the pedal to the floor after about 5 seconds and after it shifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Cfsy6cp7I

im thinking a clogged fuel filter and will be changing it tomorrow morning, but what else would cause this? is it a common problem?

Robyn
03-14-2010, 08:13
As you mentioned, FUEL filter first.
Check to be sure the lift pump is supplying good volume and at least a couple PSI pressure when the engine is running.

If the filter and the lift pump are OK (new filter) then the finger is pointing at the Injection pump and injectors.

Are you getting a smokey exhaust ???

With those miles on the clock the IP is very likely at the end of its life span unless it was changed out.

Injectors lose POP pressure and get real sloppy but usually the biggest issue with worn injectors is hard starting and missing until they get a little heat in them.

The 6.2 is no rocket but should still run reasonably well.

The IP can loose its ability to provide good pressure and other things wear out too like the advance piston assembly.

If the lift pump is bad or not fuctioning the transfer pump in the IP must then do all the work and this will take a real toll on the IP plus the fuel supply is severely compromised and with it goes the power.

The 6.2 N/A engines would make 160 HP in the 2500 trucks and about 130 inn the 1500 trucks.

Soooo these are not a moose by any stretch buttttttttttt it should be respectable.

Keep us posted.

Missy

NetBSD
03-14-2010, 19:47
ok well i did the fuel filter, the old one didnt look so old but was heavy so i imagin it was collecting sludge, also topped off the tank with some treated diesel and so far so good. got the power i was expecting.

only issue now is my tranny, hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and doesnt go into over drive. might be seeing a 4 speed swap if i cant locate a good tranny.

i think i remember hearing the 6.2 had the same block pattern as the 350/454 gasers so could i put a turbo350 gaser tranny? from what i understand (im no chevy guy, this 92 2500 is my first chevy) the turbo350 is suposed to be one of the best auto's for chevy

Robyn
03-14-2010, 20:19
Your truck has a 4L80 most likely. A 350 can be used but it does not have the right sized output shaft.

A 400 turbo will work though. The 4L80 is a tad longer so the drive line lengths get into the picture

A 400 needs vacuum to shift and you will need a vacuum control valve that bolts to the IP to sense the throttle position GM number 14057219

I have swapped 350's and 400's in place of 4L80 but this is a task and you lose the OD.

Maybe line up a good used 4L80 . Putting in a 4 speed isd also a chore.

Flywheel, Clutch, bell houing, linkage and pedal assembly etc etc.

The flywheel is only interchangable from 6.2 and 6.5 the stuff from the mice and rats won't work.

Good luck

Missy

NetBSD
03-15-2010, 06:26
i think im going to try some new fluids before i go and change the tranny but i am keeping my eyes open for one. i refuse to use a junkyard for auto's anymore lol, manual swap is nothing for me on a ford and i dont imagin chevy is much different.

so how is the 4L80 controlled? is it electric shift solenoids? OD dont bother me that much but when i do hit the highway it sucks doing 65 at almost 3k rpm and i would like to use this for pulling my built ranger to some wheeling grounds so im gunna be seeing alot of highway driving this summer.

what tranny would you guys use? i have a heavy right foot in tight spots and i will have atleast 33's under the rig

heres what im gunna be pulling
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Ranger/Photo0064-800.jpg

might aswell toss a pic up of my chevy, it was dark out so not the best pic
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/chevy/DSCF1387-1024.jpg

Edahall
03-15-2010, 08:37
The 4L80E uses shift solenoids. It's considered a good and reliable transmission.

Regarding manual transmissions, I would use a 5 speed NV4500 since it has an overdrive. Another option is the SM465 which is a 4 speed unit w/o overdrive. Both units are tough enough to work behind a healthy 6.2.

JohnC
03-15-2010, 11:51
The 4L80E is as good as and as tough as any trans GM has ever made. Your throttle switch probably needs to be adjusted.