PDA

View Full Version : CUCV Startup after 4 years...

DieSly
03-15-2010, 15:59
5 years ago I found an '85 CUCV M1008 in Wyoming for $600. Yay me! It had been in storage for 2 or 3 years so I took it to a mechanic friend before trying to start it up and had them install new glow plugs and batteries, had them look things over and change some fluids. After I got to drive it home I noticed an incredible death wobble - I know I need to rebuild the king pins at some point. Unfortunately, soon after all that, the starter and flex plate bit the big one, then in a rush I moved to Salt Lake and had to let it the truck sit. Well, after living here for 4 years I finally got the bad boy to my home and this weekend I installed a new flex plate and starter. Yay me! :rolleyes: The motor spun just fine during that install... not that says all that much...

I need to buy new batteries again but before I fire it up, I want to make sure I cover at least the minimum duties. After letting it sit for 4 years with new fluids what can I expect to happen? Do I need to drain the tank of all that old fuel? Do I need to flush the trans? I know I need to change the motor oil, but what else should I look at? What other stuff am I completely ignorant to? A quick search on the subject edjumacated me on the need to replace gaskets and the dampener some time soon but I really want to fire it up as soon as I can! As always, thanks for any tips!

NH2112
03-18-2010, 04:30
I would drain the tank of as much fuel as possible because it's likely that there's water in it in the form of condensation, and most likely fungus & algae as well. It's too bad GM didn't put a sump & drain on diesel fuel tanks, but oh well.

As far as what else to do, I'd basically do a complete oil & filter change, install a new fuel filter, and a new air filter. If you see any sign of rodents inspect all the engine wiring for damage. Check belts & hoses carefully, and it might not be a bad idea to just assume they're dry-rotted and replace them after 4 years of sitting. Of course, that means new coolant too.

DieSly
03-19-2010, 08:42
Thanks! That's kinda what I figured. The algae is news tho! I have two trucks that I was going to combine so I suppose I'll just have to get started and when I pull the beds I can pull the tanks and clean them out. Sounds like she'll be sittin a wee bit longer...