PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GMC 2500 HD going dead

Laynhose7
03-17-2010, 17:52
Over the past few months my HD has been sitting. Now after more than a day or two my truck wont start and the batteries are almost completly dead. I had the batteries checked at two auto stores and both read good and passed all tests. Did check the draw on the batteries with the truck off and was 0.02. Everything is off and havnt added anything new plus there is not enough draw to kill the batteries. Test did say low cranking amps but the batteries wernt completly charged because I had just jumped it. Could the batteries still be bad??? I dont want to take it to the dealership and have them drain my pockets chasing something. I would appreciate any help!

NutNbutGMC
03-17-2010, 18:48
Over the past few months my HD has been sitting. Now after more than a day or two my truck wont start and the batteries are almost completly dead. I had the batteries checked at two auto stores and both read good and passed all tests. Did check the draw on the batteries with the truck off and was 0.02. Everything is off and havnt added anything new plus there is not enough draw to kill the batteries. Test did say low cranking amps but the batteries wernt completly charged because I had just jumped it. Could the batteries still be bad??? I dont want to take it to the dealership and have them drain my pockets chasing something. I would appreciate any help!

http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html

If those are originals in a 05 model, I'd say it's time for new ones.

Mine sits most of the time. I use the Battery Tender (one of seven I have in the garage) to maintain peak condition of my batteries with not one worry. It's a 2007 with 4,400 miles and the Battery Tender has always kept them up.

There are several threads here on battery drains of different natures. Good luck Sir.

needbigtruck
03-21-2010, 09:53
I sounds like you are experiencing the same sort of problems I am (see battery drain). I have been testing and disconnecting and everything else I can figure. I have 2 year old NAPA batteries and I just had them checked, they are low but no bad cells. Are you experiencing any other weird things like the clock time resetting or things like that. I am leaning towards the body control module or famed BCM (I've recently learned that these are re-programmable???). Other things I am going to try when the weather is good is the grounding straps, can't see how those could fail, but who knows. It seems from reading other posts concerning electrical stuff is that with these very complicated wiring systems, nailing down the culprit can be rather difficult. I am currently disconnecting both batteries whenever the truck is going to sit for more then a day until I figure this out.