PDA

View Full Version : 95' buick roadmaster 1st tank of diesel

dslkiki
03-19-2010, 16:14
hello to the diesel crowd, just got done my 8 mos.project.
converted gas to 6.2l na J code. the other details
-700R4 rebuilt
-modified crossmember for oil pan
-3.08 axle
-2 1/2 dual exhaust
-large oil-air cooler
-had a 2" longer driveshaft made, due to moving engine forward
- after driving around for several days i used 11.5 gal for 400 miles
-34.7 MPG
- I guess after the fact it was a little bit of work, prious mpg in a small "cabin cruiser" is nice.

More Power
03-19-2010, 16:18
Good job! And, welcome to the board.

I've heard of several 6.2L cars (either big sedans or wagons) that produce fuel economy in the mid 30's on the highway. Cool!

Jim

NH2112
03-19-2010, 20:29
Sounds like an awesome swap! How's the noise level inside? I'm assuming the car has better noise insulation than the trucks did. And I bet you'd get close to 40mpg with a 2.73 rearend, the friend I got my long-departed 85' GMC C1500 w/6.2l from used to get 27mpg with an SM465 and 2.73.

I'm sure everyone would love to see pics.

HH
03-20-2010, 19:55
What size tires are you running?

convert2diesel
03-20-2010, 21:25
Welcome to the club :D. You are going to find out three things:

1. The double takes of the other drivers are priceless
2. Prepare yourself to answer lots of questions
3. Occasionally, gas station attendants will actually shut down your pump for fear you will pump diesel into your car.

Did mine five years ago as an experiment. Now 100,000 miles later on a used engine, it is still running strong though it could use a new fuel pump. If you can find the sender unit from a 93 (TBI), the intank pump works better then the rail pumps for the diesel (also no air leaks). The one in your 95 is for the LT1 and puts out too much pressure.

Now if I can only put together the resources for a Dmax conversion on the Caddy :eek:.

Bill

dslkiki
03-26-2010, 05:10
thanks for interest in the buick,
I can try to answer some of your questions, i removed my fuel tank to drain any gas and removed fuel pump. Then re-connected flexible line that went to the fuel pump, to the sending unit. just used as a suction line.
Decided to go with an electric fuel pump mounted under good.
Moved battery to the trunk, any weight savings from front to back helps. Also installed caterpillar fuel/water seperator. The diesels final visit is to a large spin on napa fuel filter.
I'm sure you went through the same job or close to it, as far as cutting part of the crossmember out, I don't mind cutting and welding its fun.
also, my fuel pump and fuel solenoid is activated with continuous duty 12v solenoid, as well as push button glow plug,manuel fan switch, don't want to overload the car wiring. can send you pics ...
1 more comment , yesterday at the gas station while the buick was getting filled another customer noticed the "diesel 6.2l" badge and said how many did buick make of those, I said one when asked about fuel economy this tank was pure around town, so around 27. let me know about yours would be appreciated, and the other guy filling his dodge 318 said he gets 10 mpg, anyway I like my buick diesel.