PDA

View Full Version : What year 6.5TD is this? Good engine for my TD project?

fullsizeBlazer
03-21-2010, 11:11
Hi,
I'm interested in a 6.5TD out of a c3500 with just about 30k miles on it. Showed up on ebay germany about an hour ago.

Seller didn't answer yet, but I could have the entire engine as pictured for about $2k.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/3227/65turbo.jpg

Seems to be a 97/98 truck:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4291/65turbo2.jpg

I'm really interested in that engine, I want to have an optimizer or p400 one day, with a DB2 4911 mechanical IP, but I still need a lot of parts & hardware as I currently only have my tired old 82 6.2 Diesel.

I also have new turbo mainfolds (non EGR), some new/nos 6.5 parts (flexplate, starter, water pump) but I still need a serp belt setup, a turbo and various other parts.

Maybe I should get me that engine and convert it to non-egr & mechanical DB 4911 and run it till it's dead and then get me an optimizer.

What do you think?

Thanks and greetings from Bavaria

Flo

fullsizeBlazer
03-21-2010, 11:15
ps:

seller got it out of a government auction. U.S. army sells a lot of equipment & surplus stuff over here. 6.5 and 6.2 Diesels are quite popular over here due to the relatively high fuel costs and the great mileage these engines get (:rolleyes: compared to V8 gassers of course)

ToddMeister
03-22-2010, 05:49
It looks like a late 96 or newer, motor has the dual thermostat housing and the round air cleaner.

(Unless someone upgraded it from older stuff)

fullsizeBlazer
03-22-2010, 10:46
@Toddmeister:

Thanks, he wrote back today. It is a 98 and thus has a electronic IP.

Seems to be a nice deal, has the GM-8 turbo & as you said, the dual thermostat housing and stuff.

Think I'll buy the engine & put on a 4911 pump and a wastegate override. Should work fine I hope :)

What do you guys think?

Thanks again (for any comment) and greetings

Flo

fullsizeBlazer
03-22-2010, 13:18
OK,

bought it.:D It's an airforce truck, seller bought a lot of 3 from an airforce base in the UK. has all the paperwork. no oil leaks & drives fine.

OK,

now I have to get a matching radiator. do not know if it is a good idea to use my 6.2 diesel radiator (though it is in perfect shape)

further plans:
throw out the electronic stuff & get a mechanical IP (db2 4911), think I'm gonna buy from kennedy diesel. maybe he accepts my electronic ip as core.

Greetings

Flo

convert2diesel
03-22-2010, 14:28
Don't get too excited yet but as this was an airforce truck theres a good chance the engine has been replaced sometime during it's life time. That could well mean you might already have an Optimizer.

When you recieve the engine, check the area under the intake for the tell tail double diamond casting mark, indicating an AMG engine.

Bill

fullsizeBlazer
03-22-2010, 14:42
@Bill:

this surely would be awesome! :D:D:D:D then it would be one hell of a deal.

Well, optimizer or not, here are some
updates:

-> got a set of NOS injection lines for mechanical ips

Further research I've done:

-> there will be issues with the dual t setup & a mechanical ip
I do not want to test my welding skills, so I think I'm gonna get me a matching water crossover housing. Correct part number for a 93 thermostat housing is 23500374 (http://www.compnine.com/pnmouseover.php?pn=23500374). Maybe one of you can recommend me matching HD cooling thermostats
-> Mabe it would be good to purchase the dieselpage 6.5 diesel books :D:D

Thanks and greetings

Flo

stezloco
03-29-2010, 15:04
just buttin in here.....dont junk that f.i.p mate....i'll give you better than scrap money for it....doesnt hurt to have a spare...
:D

fullsizeBlazer
03-30-2010, 00:47
@stezloco:

No Problem! I'll let ya know when the engine arrives, no problem with shipping that pump to you :D:D