PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box?

DA BIG ONE
12-25-2004, 15:56
While traveling I hit some heavy winds/sand storms, my truck would not stay straight unless I held the wheel cocked about 1/8th of a turn towards the wind, when the winds shifted then back to center, and another 1/8th of a turn in the other direction to stay on road.

Question; Is this a sign of a bad box, or?

The box was changed out a few months ago w/factory remanfuactured unit, the rest of steering and suspension is new, or in good shape.

KallyI
12-25-2004, 18:17
It could be a worn Pitman arm, I had to get mine replaced at 19000 kms, (about 11000 miles) and it is due for another one again, at 214000 kms (about 120000 miles). Or it could have just been that windy; from the side, our units are not very aerodynamic.

johnny2can
12-25-2004, 21:01
I'm told the idler arm is fairly common to go bad 'cuz the grease fitting is so hard to get to (though I found it easy once the front lower airdam was unbolted (2 bolts) and swung out of the way)... replaced mine on my gasser 'burb and it tightened things up quite a bit... 'til the lower ball joints wore out! :D

KallyI
12-26-2004, 08:26

PITMAN ARM

Definition: The arm connected to the steering box sector shaft that moves side to side to steer the wheels.

IDLER ARM

A pivot point in a parallelogram steering system that follows the motions of the pitman arm. A worn idler arm bushing typically causes steering wander (looseness) and toe wear

Just thought I would expand our knowledge base. :D

DA BIG ONE
12-27-2004, 03:25
Originally posted by KallyI:

PITMAN ARM

Definition: The arm connected to the steering box sector shaft that moves side to side to steer the wheels.

IDLER ARM

A pivot point in a parallelogram steering system that follows the motions of the pitman arm. A worn idler arm bushing typically causes steering wander (looseness) and toe wear

Just thought I would expand our knowledge base. :D And yes, I am in a learning curve, always will be, thats why this web site, and all its members are great!!!!!!!