PDA

View Full Version : 83 6.2 G2500

Edgeofthewoods
03-22-2010, 15:31
Evening folks. Posted my into earlier. But I did some searching and really didn't see an answer. My 83 van has about 270xxx miles. I do know that the IP was replaced about 2 years ago. Rear axle,and tranny. She runs fairly well overall. Cold starts involve. Cycling glow plugs 2-3 times then trying to start. Repeat 2 times then she runs. I need to feather the throttle for about 15 seconds then a nice smooth fast idle. But enough grey/white smoke to kill skeeters for 3 counties. Kind of slow and sluggish during acceleration. Smoke clears a bit during steady driving. Now moderate acceleration heavy black smoke. Not a chance on hills. 6% grade = 45 mph. Empty van. Now tonight I am checking the EGR as I found R&R air filter checking for air leaks. Next will ne to check injectors. Also on acceleration it feels like a misfire on a gasser. Not real bad buy noticeable. Any other ideas to check?

Thanks
Chuck Hudson
1983 GMC Vandura 2500
6.2 stone stocker.
1990 F250 4x4 Ext Cab
460 Gasser 348562 miles
Edgewood NM Territory.

Edahall
03-23-2010, 11:06
Evening folks. Posted my into earlier. But I did some searching and really didn't see an answer. My 83 van has about 270xxx miles. I do know that the IP was replaced about 2 years ago. Rear axle,and tranny. She runs fairly well overall. Cold starts involve. Cycling glow plugs 2-3 times then trying to start. Repeat 2 times then she runs. I need to feather the throttle for about 15 seconds then a nice smooth fast idle. But enough grey/white smoke to kill skeeters for 3 counties. Kind of slow and sluggish during acceleration. Smoke clears a bit during steady driving. Now moderate acceleration heavy black smoke. Not a chance on hills. 6% grade = 45 mph. Empty van. Now tonight I am checking the EGR as I found R&R air filter checking for air leaks. Next will ne to check injectors. Also on acceleration it feels like a misfire on a gasser. Not real bad buy noticeable. Any other ideas to check?

Thanks
Chuck Hudson
1983 GMC Vandura 2500
6.2 stone stocker.
1990 F250 4x4 Ext Cab
460 Gasser 348562 miles
Edgewood NM Territory.

>>Also on acceleration it feels like a misfire on a gasser.
If the injectors have never been changed out, it's definitely time.

>>Not a chance on hills. 6% grade = 45 mph. Empty van.
This sounds pretty typical for a stock 83 Van which had only about 130hp. My 1982 Suburban was slow like that when I first bought it and would pour out black smoke under heavy throttle. With the modifications, I can pull 75 mph on a 6% grade in direct drive. For more power, the first place to start is replace that air horn with a J code non EGR variant. Next thing would be to install an free flowing exhaust. Dual 2-1/2" or a 3" super single is what you want and get some free flowing mufflers such as Thrush Glasspacks. It'll be louder but you'll definitely have more power.

Edgeofthewoods
03-23-2010, 16:24
Thanks. Would a temp fix work by blocking off the EGR with a plate? I did think of the free flow exhaust 3" and straight out the back. I am hoping it is not the IP. Diesel Motive in Albuquerque said for my year and being in a van it would be 1000 -1400 for a rebuilt pump. Must be gold plated!! Also is it worth it to do ring/bearing kit to spruce up the old engine? Can't afford complete rebuild right now. Before I do make that call I will do a compression check.

Thanks again
Chuck

Edahall
03-23-2010, 21:43
>>Would a temp fix work by blocking off the EGR with a plate?
Yeah you could do that or cut/chisel out the EGR apparatus. It's also likely your air handler is really crudded up and really restricting flow.

>>Diesel Motive in Albuquerque said for my year and being in a van it would be 1000 -1400 for a rebuilt pump.
I wasn't aware that van's use a different pump. I wonder what the reason is for that?

>> Also is it worth it to do ring/bearing kit to spruce up the old engine?
Is it burning a lot of oil? Is there a lot of blow by when opening the oil cap with the engine running?

Yukon6.2
03-24-2010, 07:49
Hi
Shop around for a pump.You can get rebuilt ones all day long of ebay for around $400.I got a brand new one for $75,i didn't need it at the time,but its on my truck now:D