PDA

View Full Version : Best route hauling heavy loads with my Yukon

turboGMC
12-26-2004, 03:11
So I am going to be buying a 26' car hauler soon and would like to tow it with my Yukon. I wont be hauling often. Only to dragways when i have the time (4000lb rail truck). I will be doing the cooling mods/intercooler soon. My question is regarding the rear suspension/brakes. I have asked a few people and they told me to go the air bag route but I'm thinkin of just adding leafs so its less things that can go wrong. Im not sure what big improvments I can do to the brakes without spending boo-co bucks. Any suggestions?

norm
12-26-2004, 05:57
I am quite happy with the bags. Since I am heavy most of the time, it might have made sense for me to consider leaves, but the air bags have a good ride and hold level any load I have.
I would think it would be perfect for you to have the adjustability, and beefing the leaf springs would really rough up your ride I think.

The on board air source, gauges and controller look real nice, but I just have the plain bags and schraders, I check them when I check the tires. I think they are very reliable systems. I have a friend with a Dodge/cummins who has the Air-Lift brand and he is just as happy. He does what you are going to do - light load mostly and occasional heavy towing (28'goose-neck with dirt/stumps/cars/backhoes/etc)

markrinker
12-26-2004, 08:31
Based on your infrequent towing, I would suggest looking into Timbren springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7943227684&category=42609&sspagename=WDVW

I have added them to both #1 and #2, and also upgraded #2 to a HD 6-leaf stack that is designed for ambulances and tow trucks. It rides a little stiffer, but never seen the timbrens kick in yet, and have put 4-5K lbs on the bed! Also today purchased a new set online for truck #3.

The timbrens are a simple and inexpensive way to limit suspension travel, while still providing some suspension under load. When they are unused, you have a totally factory stock ride.

[ 12-26-2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Turbine Doc
12-26-2004, 16:05
Turbo check these out www.activesuspension.com (http://www.activesuspension.com) I've had great success with them hooked up to my my 5600# GN trailer loaded with a 6 ton backhoe I sit dead level on the bed. I bought the 3/4-1 ton set for my K1500 has handled anything I have yet to pull, best part isd you don't know it's there unless towing, and automatic no air to keep up and easy install.