PDA

View Full Version : Let the build begin!

Shed
03-23-2010, 09:36
I have finally secured the funds to start modifying my "ultimate tow rig". I have the summer to accomplish this, and I'm not in a hurry. I want to know what all your thoughts are for upgrading my truck. I am not doing any pulls, or drag racing events, I am not looking for a lifted show monster. I simply want this truck to perform better, be more efficient. I tow a 30' 5th wheel and use it as a daily driver/camping rig and haul it all. Below is a list of things I would like to add. What are your thoughts about these, what am I missing, what's a bad idea?

1. Idler pittman arms? I've been told the stock are weak?
2. Rear air bags. Want to keep her from squating.
3. Stereo and speakers. Mine sucks and needs replaced, this is easy.
4. Drivers side exhaust manifold? Heard that the stock is very restrictive?
5. Intercooler. I'm always worried about overheating and EGT's.
6. EFI tune. I've heard Kennedy is the best and trust his knowledge.
7. Replace drivers seat cover. Would like OEM but not sure where to get it.
8. Wheels and tires. I know the bad with these. purely for looks.
9. Upgrade gauges. Boost/EGT/trans temp.
10. Wanting a quiet exhaust. The magna flow has HUGE drone and I'm done!

What else? I have $5-7k that I will spend. Somethings like wheels and tires maybe sacrificed for more important efficiency parts.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/advice. Shed

Kennedy
03-23-2010, 09:48
I have finally secured the funds to start modifying my "ultimate tow rig". I have the summer to accomplish this, and I'm not in a hurry. I want to know what all your thoughts are for upgrading my truck. I am not doing any pulls, or drag racing events, I am not looking for a lifted show monster. I simply want this truck to perform better, be more efficient. I tow a 30' 5th wheel and use it as a daily driver/camping rig and haul it all. Below is a list of things I would like to add. What are your thoughts about these, what am I missing, what's a bad idea?

1. Idler pittman arms? I've been told the stock are weak? Fresh pitman/idler arms with cognito supports
2. Rear air bags. Want to keep her from squating. Air lift bags and if the budget allows wireless air compressor/control3. Stereo and speakers. Mine sucks and needs replaced, this is easy.
4. Drivers side exhaust manifold? Heard that the stock is very restrictive? Manifold is not good, BUT it's hard to see any noticeable gain. Not saying there is no benefit, just not going to wow you
5. Intercooler. I'm always worried about overheating and EGT's. Save this one until you see how what you have works
6. EFI tune. I've heard Kennedy is the best and trust his knowledge. If you say so I'll take your word for it :D
7. Replace drivers seat cover. Would like OEM but not sure where to get it.
8. Wheels and tires. I know the bad with these. purely for looks. 265/75/16 E Michelin LTX MS2 on OE PYO wheels would be my suggestion
9. Upgrade gauges. Boost/EGT/trans temp. I prefer to put these in the overhead console up high and dry and clean. Post turbo EGT and 30 psi boost unless you plan to build trans and race
10. Wanting a quiet exhaust. The magna flow has HUGE drone and I'm done! We use a larger diameter muffler and also a longer body for long bed trucks to minimize the noise.

What else? I have $5-7k that I will spend. Somethings like wheels and tires maybe sacrificed for more important efficiency parts.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/advice. Shed

Notes inserted above. Lift pump setup and added filtration should be key items. Is this a long bed or short?

Shed
03-23-2010, 11:19
JK, Its a short bed. I had a yokel put on a magna flow exhaust and then I found out magna flow did not make an exhaust for me truck (per magna flow themselves). So they chopped down a crew cab set up I'm guessing. Had probs with the tranny lines rubbing on the exhaust. That was fixed, but I hate the drone from the muffler. I would prefer just to switch the muffler, any ideas to just switch out? How much of this stuff do you do? Was'nt sure if it would be worth a trip to see you, not alot of shops here that I trust (Iowa). Thanks again, Shed

Kennedy
03-24-2010, 07:30
How long is the muffler tip of pipe to tip of pipe?

What is the OD and length of the muffler shell?

We can do a good bit of the work depending on the timing. I'm tied up on the phone a lot, but JJ or Jeremy come in for projects. We try to schedule projects on Fridays. Depends how much you want done, but this is pretty basic so far.

Shed
03-26-2010, 10:35
JK, I'll keep you in mind. Fridays would be fine as long as I have someone who knows what they're doing! Piece of mind is big for me! I will have to get home and measure the muffler, I'll let you know ASAP. I'm thinking I want stock quiet, or as close as possible in a 4". Thanks for everything. Shed

Kennedy
04-08-2010, 19:42
Shed,

Drop me an email when you get a chance.

mattb5150
04-10-2010, 13:37
Can you guys post more info or reference a thread with more discussion on the pitman and idler arms?

Matt

Kennedy
04-12-2010, 07:28
Please drop me an email and I can point you in the correct direction.

Kennedy
04-13-2010, 13:45
Email sent to mattb in the interest of not discussing drivetrain in depth here.