PDA

View Full Version : Cheep truck

Subzilla
03-23-2010, 10:11
I've got a line on a '93 pick-em-up with a rod sticking out of the oil pan of the 6.5 engine according to the owner. The truck looks to be in good shape from the picture but I haven't gone to check it out, yet. But the price is quite right.

My question: Can I directly swap the 6.5 with one of the spare rebuilt military 6.2's I have? Are all the holes and such in the same places? I know I would have to transfer all of the outer workings.

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2010, 10:30
The simple answer is yes. Many of the 92-93 6.5's are the same casting series as the late 6.2's, only with larger bores. You may have minor issues with some "holes" (oil cooler line adapters, for example), but essentially a simple swap with a little accommodation.

Subzilla
03-23-2010, 11:15
Ooops. Went back and looked at the ad and it's actually a '94. Any difference?

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2010, 11:48
Still OK. You may want to consider a shortblock swap, though. The injector angles, among others, may be different, depending on the original applications. Still no biggie, IMO. You should be able to get a good runner out of the two with little hassle. Other than the custom rod/pan job, it should be simple if what remains is good.