PDA

View Full Version : Water pump replacement ?

bd1028
03-27-2010, 13:58
I have a slight leak Looks like it is coming out below waterpump where it bolts to block.Is this a big job? I have replaced water pumps before on gas engines .Any special tools required. Thinking about tackleing this one myself.

Thanks Brian

DmaxMaverick
03-27-2010, 15:35
Before condemning the pump, check the turbo coolant return line behind the fan pulley (you can see it from the top). It's a short piece of rubber hose connecting the steel lines. They can leak, appearing to be the pump as the coolant runs down. When the pump fails, it will usually leak at the weep hole and/or the pulley shaft (not normally the mating surfaces).

bd1028
03-27-2010, 16:02
Everything looks dry up top,Where do I find the weephole?The coolant that I see is above where the lower coolant hose connects to the pump.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-27-2010, 20:12
I just had my water pump replaced at the dealership....my butt still hurts from that episode. They quoted me $1100 for parts and labor. Service manager says the book states 8.5 hours to complete, and the pump was like $500....:eek:

I bought a GM waterpump from an AC Delco parts store (QADCO) for about half the price, installation was still 600 bones. If you have the talent, tools and time, go for it! $600 goes along way for fuel or mods...;)

I drove mine for a couple of years with the leak but I always carried a gallon of 50/50 dexcool in my tool box.

DmaxCC6spd
03-28-2010, 03:58
I replaced mine about 2 years ago after what I believe was the weep hole leak. It was a very slow leak, but annoying.

I'm fairly handy around the garage and don't normally let "shop monkeys" near my stuff. It was a big job and took several hours to do.

I needed the special wrench to remove the fan - this is a good investment, I busted several knuckles and having the right tool also reduces the chance of radiator damage from a slipping wrench.

Also a huge socket is needed to remove the crank damper pulley. One water pump bolt hides behind the damper - the designers and mechanics should really talk to each other once in a while. Lastly, a torque wrench capable of 250+ ft-lbs. The crank bolt should be torqued to 289 ft-lbs if I recall correctly.

Have a friend handy too. I pulled the radiator out and it was enormous!

At first I suspected just a leaky gasket. So I replaced the orings and easily serviceable seals for the pump. This didn't fix it! So then I did it all - new pump, new coolant tube from pump to oil cooler etc. Even after all this, I still spent far less than $1,100 and the truck is leak free!

9365turbo
03-28-2010, 10:40
(I just had my water pump replaced at the dealership....my butt still hurts from that episode. They quoted me $1100 for parts and labor. Service manager says the book states 8.5 hours to complete, and the pump was like $500....

I bought a GM waterpump from an AC Delco parts store (QADCO) for about half the price, installation was still 600 bones. If you have the talent, tools and time, go for it! $600 goes along way for fuel or mods...)
$1100.00? Damn I could make some money on these jobs. I replaced mine last year. Napa has the pumps. I think it was around $100.00. $30.00 for the socket. And whatever the tool for the fan. It wasnt that bad changing the pump. Try doing the head gaskets. Now thats a job.