PDA

View Full Version : Autopsy Results

Cowracer
04-25-2005, 04:13
I managed to sneak in a few hours on the truck engine this weekend and I know what happened to it now.

The problem was in the #3 cyl. I knew this even before I pulled the engine out of the truck. But I didnt know what the problem was. After getting the drivers side head off, the cause of the failure was clear.

The #3 piston had a longitudinal crack in it running from the 9 o'clock position to the 3 o' clock. It nearly transversed the entire piston, stopping only about 1/2" from the 3 o'clock side edge. The crack allowed combustion gasses to escape through the piston. This eroded a hole in the piston aprox the length and thickness of a quarter at the top of the 'fire slot' between the 'mikey mouse ears'.

The cylinder itself had minor scuffing on the 6 o'clock positon, probably due to some piston material getting lodged in the rings. It is not too bad and should clean up with a .030 overbore which I was going to do anyway. All the combustion chambers had the typical cracks between the valves. Nothing too serious.

Cause of the destruction of the #3 piston is probably due to high EGT's. I foolishly ignored the advice given time and time again to get gauges first off. I ran mine with higher boost and a chip for about 4 months before I got gauges. The first time I saw the EGT's I was getting just going hard up an onramp, I realized that I probably overcooked the engine on numerous occasions. Now that particular chicken has come home to roost

The $4500 Moral of the Story is:

GET GAUGES FIRST! If you are even thinking about a chip or boost control of ANY kind, get the gauges first! Don't be an ass like me! If you think you can't afford gauges, do you think you can afford a new engine?

Tim

Billman
04-25-2005, 04:29
What EGT's were you getting Pre/Post turbo once you got gauges?

What EGT's do you think you pushed it too before this?

On Edit: Didn't you have a timing/chain alignment problem? Ever figure that one out?

Cowracer
04-25-2005, 06:20
Originally posted by Billman:
What EGT's were you getting Pre/Post turbo once you got gauges?

What EGT's do you think you pushed it too before this?

On Edit: Didn't you have a timing/chain alignment problem? Ever figure that one out? Q1) pre-turbo, I never EVER let it get above 1300, and only rarely let it get above 1200.

Q2) probably well north of 1500.

Q3) No, and probably never will. If I had to bet, I would say it happend during the pump replacement in 2001.

Tim