PDA

View Full Version : Boost Fooler

DaveBr
03-27-2010, 21:24
Has anybody used a boost fooler? If you have I would like to hear your opinion about it. I would like to know if they work or if it's snake oil.

rogers
03-28-2010, 00:02
I would like to know if they work or if it's snake oil.

It depends on what you expect it to do. They do work. They do what they are designed to do. They allow boost pressure above stock levels without setting the SES light or code. It will not make your 6.5l into a 1500hp machine.

a5150nut
03-28-2010, 07:46
I've been running a boost fool-er for over 8 years. I used a variable resistor (IIRC). At the time everyone was mounting it at the plug on the boot sensor. I just traced those wires to the computer so mine is indoors and no moisture problems.

I run 3lbs. boost cruising down the freeway and 11 / 12 lbs under hard pull. One of these days I will finish it with a real boost gage instead of a vacuum/ boost gage resting in the ash tray. :D

Robyn
03-28-2010, 08:24
The boost fooler in fine if you have installed a Turbo master or a similar device to control the boost.

The best advice is to install a chip that takes the boost limits out of the programing plus it changes the overall fuel, timing and other curves to work far better.

Having tons of boost really does nothing if you dont have fuel to go with it.

Some extra air does help keep things a tad cooler (more air flow)

Boost simply for boost sake does little.

The 6.5 without a charge air cooler does great with a fuel and boost setting to allow about 12 PSI max.

Keep the EGT's around 1000F in the pre turbo area and your set.

Missy

DaveBr
03-28-2010, 20:40
Thanks for the responses although I'm disappointed I won't get 1500 HP by installing one. So who sells these boost foolers?

rogers
03-28-2010, 21:36
Kennedy sells a nicely put together fooler, or many have also made their own.

DennisG01
03-29-2010, 07:59
I used the one that Kennedy sells for about 2 years with a stock ECM (before upgrading to a custom ECM). I saw some modest, but respectable, improvements. A tiny bit better acceleration - but a more noticeable improvement in keeping the temps down at highway speed.

Be careful! You must adjust this via a boost gauge as it is possible to set it to boost too much. Max boost is 3rd gear (auto tranny), TC locked, pedal to the floor.

DaveBr
03-29-2010, 21:43
Thanks guys. I like dealing with J.K. so I will put in the order.