PDA

View Full Version : trailering weights

maverick_935
03-29-2010, 07:11
Is it just me or is something wrong:

2011 GMC 1500 5.3l 3.42 ratio can bumper pull 9500lbs(this seems wrong)

and yet

2011 GMC 3500 6.0l (biggest motor they have) 4.10 ratio can bumper pull 13,000lbs

2011 GMC 3500 6.6l 3.73 bumper pull 16,000lbs, fifth 20,000

Are the two 3500's not the same drivetrain minus the motor and tranny?

I was trying to figure out if buying a gas trailer hauler would be better as the price of Diesel here is over $4.50 a cdn/gallon. The price is not lowering and the gas price is always about $0.10 a litre cheaper.

Mark Rinker
03-29-2010, 07:55
Maybe they figure in the grade-braking force of the Durmax/Allison combo?

The diesel would be my choice, all day long.

Better fuel economy
Better resale value
Better towing capabilitiesJust better, all the way around, IMO!

maverick_935
03-29-2010, 09:01
the 6.0l being GM's big motor is still only a small block with the numbers to match.

Paying close to $9,000 for the diesel + all the extra maintenance + the extra fuel costs does not justify the average fifth hauler who only tows 6 months a year and mostly on weekends.

GM needs a bigger gas motor to increase truck sales for the average person who does not want to spend the $70,000 for a truck.

I would have thought the 6.0l plus the 4:10's would have given the 3500 some real towing ability in combination wioth the new 6spd auto with tow haul mode.

The trucks GVWR or GVCWR do not make sense anymore. Besides with this new truck registered above 26,000lbs you need a CDL to drive this truck it.

Mark Rinker
03-29-2010, 09:11
>>>The trucks GVWR or GVCWR do not make sense anymore. <<<

Agreed. Like my '04 Kodiak that weighed 10K# empty, and had a GVWR of 17.5K# ? (I once had 12K# on the flatbed, carried and stopped that load nicely.)

Why would you register a 3500 series at 26K#, unless they require you to register for the combination in Canada...here in MN we register the truck and the trailer - and they add the two together. My 3500 is registered for 12K#. My dual axle flatbed equipment trailer is registered for 14K#, the triple axle boat transport for 21K#.

In the states, the combination with the flatbed does NOT require a CDL, unless hauling for hire. The triple axle boat transport DOES - 'technically' even when empty, or NOT hauling for hire.

JohnC
03-29-2010, 09:29
the gas price is always about $0.10 a litre cheaper.

Well, the better mileage of the 6.6/3.73 combo over the 6.0/4.10 will easily cover the $0.10 price difference.

They had a big block gas engine a few years back in the 8.1 but it was a real fuel hog.

Big Eric
03-29-2010, 09:51
I have the 8.1 and it is a gas guzzler. I've also heard that the 6.0 doesn't get much better. I know the new 6.0's have comparable horsepower to my 2001 8.1 (from GM website: 6.0 now rated 360hp vs. 340hp for my 8.1), but the there is a difference between how that horsepower works in a small vs. large block, and actually vs. diesel. It comes down to torque. I'm not sure why GM did away with the big block engine, other than I suppose the "fuel crisis" back around the time they discontinued the big block, but then again, they made these engines for RV's, boats, etc. Even though you'd think I'd be a diesel guy (I drove semi for 10 years), I still prefer a gasser in my pickup. I grew up around the diesel nightmare in the 80's when GM had horrible diesels and were putting them is the Oldsmobile cars as well. Sadly, that scared me off from automotive diesels. I have it in my head that diesels are meant to be ran long and hard, and I just can't bring myself to own a diesel when I would only use it as a daily driver (start and stop/hardly if ever work hard). If I were in the trailering business, or something where I was hauling all the time for long distances, I'd consider the diesel. I also agree that the extra money for the diesel just doesn't add up for me. For what I need a pickup for, the gasser can get it done just fine.

maverick_935
03-29-2010, 09:51
today's technology must be able to create a gas motor withthe hp/tq trucks need for towing with the ability to shut off cylinders when not required plus any number of things to increase mileage

The time is coming when the MTO/DOT are going to have to start checking the vehicles on the road because a lot of them are overloaded or just plain old not safe. You should not be pullinga 15,000 lb toy hauler with a 2500 whatever. But they do. I think I heard that British Columbia is starting to check on these RV's.

In order for my trailer to haul properly in Canada my truck must be licensed to max GVW registered. My trailer is a 20' tandem flatdeck rated at 12,000lbs with my truck. Yes if I am working I have to stop at the scales. My Rv weighs in at max about 12,000lbs. I have absolutely no problems starting or "stopping" my trailer in any condition including emergency stop. My trailers do not steer or wag the truck.

It is not the tractor trailers or drivers that are the issue it is the people that use a 1/2 ton truck or a 3/4 ton truck to do a job of a 1ton or MDT to haul their trailers. These people are being told that sure they can haul that by whatever salesman wants the sale. It doesn't matter that they don't know the difference because nobody checks these weights.