PDA

View Full Version : Can the newest style block be purchased ( Bare)

eracers999
12-26-2004, 19:00
I would like to know the source for buying a bare block. I see JK has remans for sale using the new block so they must be available. Anyones thoughts on a new Navistar block vs a 599 with splayed main caps??

Kent

moondoggie
12-27-2004, 11:01
Good Day!

I guess I'd call John & ask him

eracers999
12-27-2004, 12:41
Hey Brian;

Did that, cant be done.

Kent

john8662
12-27-2004, 14:04
Kent,

So, you contacted JK and you can't just get the block, what are the details?

After some responces from JK in your other post about blocks, makes me think that the only block to use is the new block. Or spend lots of $$ for splayed main work, with the added line boring that the machine shop will have to do.

eracers999
12-27-2004, 14:49
Hi;

JK said that AMG wont release the new block by itself, because it would compete with new engine sales.
Had a extensive talk with JK about blocks, and as a result im going to be ordering his main caps.

They are 500 bucks, Cameron racing engines where i have my machine work done, does this splayed cap machine work and line bore fairly regular and he only figured it would cost about 300.00 . Says its a pretty common thing to do on a 400 small blk chev. As soon as my DSG stud gurdle gets here it will be for sale at a loss if anyone is interested.
There is not enough info on this board yet for me to rely on just the stud gurdle.

Cameron engines went on to say that all gm blocks that have 4 bolt mains have that recess behind the outer bolts in the block. Installing the splayed caps makes em hold up and in his opinion the splayed caps would be a better choice. I have no argument the other way.

In my opinion it is BS for AMG to hold back sales of blocks. For a whole host of reasons.

Kent

john8662
12-27-2004, 19:08
Kent,

I am just as curious if the stud girdle kit really helps beef up the bottom end, or if it is just band-aid. I've done two stud girdle installs, one in my 6.5 and the other in a 6.2, both were crack free (visually).

How soon are you going to have your block built for your 94?

If soon, let me know what all machining gets done to make the splayed mains work, I am thinking along the same lines for my 6.5 buildup. I just have some questions about how its done, mainly with the line boring. I am mainly concerned with odd-ball bearings having to be fit into an oversize bore, or if only the caps get bored. I'll call my local machine shop and see if they have done this kind of thing too. Thanks for passing on the info on AMG, although disappointing.

eracers999
12-27-2004, 22:21
John;

It will be going to get done as quick as everybody moves, and as you know somtimes that is'nt very quick. The block could be done by the end of next week if, everything goes right.

Kent

grape
12-28-2004, 07:06
am general supplies 3 suppliers.....call Workhorse Custom Chassis, the motorhome people.

Kennedy
12-28-2004, 07:44
Just FYI, my reasoning for AMG not releasing the block only is only speculative. There's a lot of politics that can go on here. The Hummer engine sale is restricted even thiough it is essentially same as the van engine. Only AMG legal would know all of the details as I'm sure there were numerous terms and conditions imposed with the purchase of the production rights...

eracers999
12-28-2004, 22:40
Im going to take the original 599 and do the splayed caps and run with it, 18:1, gear drive. From what i know and what i have learned from the questions that i have asked is that the splayed main caps basicly allow a block to hold up to a 1000 to 2000 hp where as it wouldent hold up to 500 hp with out. (GM gas)

The failure in these blocks is easy to see why it happens. Its the same on the gas blocks, the big void behind the outer bolt on one side of the 4 bolt main gm blocks ( the center 3 ) the splayed cap hooks it into solid ground away from the void. Besides ill have under a grand in a well modified block, i figured about 2800 for it all when im done. That is acceptable. Feeling like the rest of it will be in decent shape.

Kent

Kennedy
12-29-2004, 06:03
Kent,

Just a little history here. There have been changes to the outer bolts down to 10mm from 12mm in an effort to leave meat in the webs. Then there was a torque spec change. Thing is, there were also 2 holes added in the housing bore for the spray jets. This is a common place for cracks to occur on these blocks. These cracks run right up the cylinder wall till they hit water. :eek:

As MP has proven with his PP truck, the 599 block can be tough, but it almost comes down to luck of the draw some times. My 599 block split in less than 6k, although it IS true that I was racing out of the toll booths in the Chicago area while pulling a sizeable (28'?) encloswed trailer. Personally, I feel that the block flexes too much, and my answer is splayed main caps to pull it all together nicely.