PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket weeping coolant

jerry598
04-06-2010, 12:23
700 miles on my rebuild and I find a slow leak of the green stuff along the lower, rear edge of the p side head under the #8 cylinder. Don't know if its been doing it all along or if it just started recently.

Could I get away with just retorquing those two easy to reach rear bolts along the bottom edge of the head where the leak appears to be coming from? Or should I do all of the bolts again? If I only did the to two rear lower bolts I wouldn't have to remove the injector lines and valve cover.

I used Felpro TTY bolts on the heads. Can these bolts be safely retorqed?

rameye
04-06-2010, 13:15
do a pressure test and verify where the fluid is coming from before you go thru the hell of taking things apart!

It could be coming from up above at the coolant lines or something weird..

my $.02

jerry598
04-06-2010, 13:29
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that. Upon further inspection the leak seems to be from the rear of the head, close to that coolant passage on the left rear of cyl. #8. Will go for the pressure test first.

john8662
04-06-2010, 13:58
Heater hose, especially where the aluminum tube has the bracket attached, good source of leak. The block-off plate up top is also a source of leak. Not usually a gasket issue.

The head bolts aren't torqued into place, You go 20, 50, and then 90 degrees. So, retorque to what? That's the problem.

J

jerry598
04-06-2010, 14:19
Good news I think. The heads have that port on the left bottom end where the temp sensor screws in (on the drivers side head for my truck). On the pass side head, the port has a plug in it. I think that's where my leak is but I can't reach it by hand without pulling the inner fender and dropping the turbo down pipe out of the way. Will do that tomorrow and then pressure the cooling system again to confirm if that is really the source of the leak. Sure hope so. I can't even see that plug except with great difficulty because of the starter heat shield and the pipes in the way.

john8662
04-06-2010, 14:46
You're right, forgot about the plug, yep, could be.

Robyn
04-06-2010, 17:14
If you get a couple things out of your way, you should be able to reach down from the top.

Good bet that the plug is loose, or was removed and not sealed with goop.

jerry598
04-07-2010, 18:12
It was the plug, thank goodness. There was sealant on it but apparently it was not tightened adequately when installed. My oversight.

Had to remove the wheel and inner fender to get to it. Of course, drained the cooling system first, removed the inner fender and then had easy access, especially since I dropped the starter first. Sure glad I didn't have to blame the CCH heads. So far, so good at 700 miles.

Also modified the front starter bracket so I could plug in a block heater on the RH side. Probably overkill but the heater was already installed and I could not plug in the wire because the OEM bracket would not allow the cord to be plugged into the starter.

DaveBr
04-08-2010, 16:16
That's what I like to hear! Another Diesel Page success story!!!

jerry598
04-08-2010, 20:12
Yep, thanks to everyone for all of your replies and invaluable help!