PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter housing replacement?

stilly
04-06-2010, 14:10
I had trouble starting my vehicle (03 Duramax) at times hot and cold. It left me stranded twice now after a break from driving a long time. I left the vehilce both times for about 1.5 hours, then I went back and it started. It is very eratic in the start process - sometimes without any problems, other times it will not start. I brought it into the Chevrolet, they quoted me the following:

Fuel API rating too High
Fuel filter housing allowing air into system
The vehicle started 'OK" when I first started it. I'm nto sure its turning over as fast as it should. I then checked for proper max commnad pump pressure. 160Mpa - OK next I check Ed low side vacuum. Pretty normal @4 to 5". testing showed no apparent leakage or air entry . An API test of fuel grade showed it to be fairly high at 42 (compensated to 40) it should be about 37. This generally will cause extended crank times when hot. I tested the fuel system low side and found also that the fuel filter housing is allowing air into syst and preventing proper suction during cranking. The housing should be replaced.

Estimated price - Fuel filter housing - 643.70
Shop time 2.5 hours

Is the diagnosis correct? Is this something that can be rebuilt, or just replaced? If so, how hard is it to do? Any speciality tools? Where should a person get the housing assy? Thanks for any assistance.

Mark Rinker
04-06-2010, 16:08
Wow - I'd be searching parts yards for the filter housing...

Kennedy
04-06-2010, 18:16
If it is the filter head then why does it start after sitting? Sounds more fuel system related, BUT you may also be able to help this by adding a lift pump. Then You'll know for sure.

stilly
04-07-2010, 08:33
The hand pump on the filter housing during this is easy to push down. I work the pump until it is hard, let it sit without turning the truck over for five minutes and it is soft again. I have tried this with and without the vent open. I have also tired to start it right after I primed it to hard and it still would not start.

So, the lift pump is an option? I have been searching for a thread on a lift pump product/install application. Any recommendations?

Kennedy
04-07-2010, 14:35
A lift pump will take care of any air in the system. I have details on my site under Dmax Parts/Lift pump.

I have a notion that you will find the issue to be injector or pump related, but process of elimination also gets you something your truck SHOULD have anyhow.