PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Suburban - 6.5l vs Vortec

Mikey von
04-06-2010, 22:50
OK, getting ready to pull the trigger and I keep going back and forth between a 6.5l vs the vortec. This will be the kid hauler and with our 3rd boy coming in May, it is quite necessary. Reliability and hwy mpg are important as this will be our main vehicle. I only have around $4500 in cash. I also have a '97 Camry that I will sell or trade. I hope to get $2000 for that. Dealer will probably give me $1000-1200. I am not trying to spend all of my money, the less the better.

I am currently looking at 2 rigs. I have not looked at them personally, as they are both a good distance away.

1 - 1997 GMC 1500 Suburban. 106K 5.7l Vortec, cloth interior, power everything (not sure on seats), new tires, great shape inside and out. At a dealer and they are asking $6500. They have not returned emails, I will call tomorrow. I do not know much about it.

2 - 1996 Chevy 2500 Suburban. 204K 6.5l. Leather, power everything. Seller claims, rebuilt transmission, new tires, new paint (dented door was replaced), new injectors, new starter, new flex plate. Says it runs perfect with no faults. He claims it starts up quickly with no smoke when cold. Leaks and burns no fluids. The few pics I have seen show it is clean. He is asking $6000 and will accept my toyota in trade. When we first started talking last week (he had a buyer that was trying to come up with cash), i offered my camry and $3500. He really did not respond to my offer. He called today asking if I was still interested. He seems motivated.

I have looked at a few suburbans and the above situation seems typical. It seems like there is a premium on the 6.5's and to get down in my price range, they are going to be higher miles or have issues. I can find the vortecs with lower miles in my price range. Is the 6.5l worth the extra $$$ and miles?

So what does everyone think?

rameye
04-07-2010, 04:02
If you need reliability and are not ready to tackle a whole bunch of minor issues that might pop up...I think you need to lean towards the gas engine...You'll be sacrificing 2-6 miles per gallon.

Now if you are flush with cash...(doubt it, if your trading cars and have child on the way) and enjoy working on your, and have a specific desire or need for a diesel then consider it.

I personally think the mileage on that particular engine puts it in the zone for some problems to start popping up...some of these problems can get pricey if your not handy with a wrench. (heck some can get pricey if you are handy!)

my .02

Mikey von
04-07-2010, 09:36
Thanks, I agree with you, I do turn my own wrenches. But get cracked heads and it is $1000 even doing it my self. Of course, things go bad with gas engines too. Gassers will also have the lighter duty transmission. I have driven several gassers and many had transmission issues.

Tough call.

Mikey von
04-07-2010, 13:17
Came to an price agreement with the '96 6.5l suburban, $4000 plus my Camry contingent on us both passing each others inspections. I going to take my boys camping on the Smith River and he will meet us there to do the swap.

rameye
04-07-2010, 13:20
make it contingent on a compression test!

crashz
04-07-2010, 14:36
I tend to think that a gasser with much less miles may serve you better, especially if its your wife's ride. If you have three young children and your wife in the car, my opinion is that you want the most reliable ride you can get for your money. The 4L60e in the 1/2 tons is not a bad transmission as long as it wasn't pulling heavy loads and has been serviced regularly. Something to consider at least.

I know I'm not going to be popular by saying this, but maybe a newer minivan would be in your budget. My SIL just bought a 2001 Honda Odessy with a little under 100K for about $4500.

schamp6497
04-08-2010, 14:24
With that diesel being a 96 I would pass and go with the gas engine. If it had been a 97 with the cooling improvements then maybe. The gas engine will be cheaper in the long run and have better resale. Check out the diesel real good before you hand over your money.

jerry598
04-08-2010, 20:28
x2, I would agree, you have more potential for hidden problems with the diesel.

DaveBr
04-09-2010, 20:51
I have to ask. If these diesel trucks are so unreliable why do all you nay sayers keep yours?

rogers
04-10-2010, 09:49
I don't think that people are saying the diesel is a bad way to go. If I interpret correctly, they are saying that the gasser has less potential for unseen problems. The diesel clatter and compression cycle noises hide what could otherwise be detected on a gasser, unless you know exactly what you are listening to. The assumption is that with anyone including the wife as a driver, the gasser would be simpler to drive, service, and to detect anomalies. However, anyway you look at it, buying used is a gamble. I will echo what others have said, unless you do your own wrenching the diesel will cost significantly more in labor charged by fools that are not familiar with this engine.

Mikey von
04-11-2010, 00:15
Well, we had a great time camping. It was a long car ride for the boys, but all in all they did well. We went to this little aquarium in crescent city and they got to pet a shark! Liam (my 2 year old) has not been feeling well and got sick on the way home. That was unfun.

The truck did not come home with us. The seller was supposed to meet me at my campsite friday evening but he was a no-show. When I got into cell phone range sat morning, I had two messages from him. The rebuilt transmission had some issues with overdrive. It is getting fixed under warranty and he offered to drive it to my place. I went and checked the suburban out and it was not as advertised. The windshield was cracked, antenna broken off at the base, replaced door not aligned properly, inside was a complete mess with badly torn front seats and a broken radio. Also the tranny work was/is done by a local to him shop, so the warranty had no value to me. I told him the best I could do was $3000 cash, no car, he drives it to my place and I get to cold start it and drive it before anything. He declined. At least I got to spend time with my boys.

Robyn
04-11-2010, 06:36
Sorry to hear about the Bummmmm car deal.

Been through a few of those myself over the years.

Nice that you had time with the kids though.

Good luck in your search for a rig.

Missy