PDA

View Full Version : Intercoolers and fuel economy

jdmetcalf57
09-18-2005, 16:09
I am considering adding a intercooler to my truck. Not for the power but for a gain in fuel economy. I have read that intercoolers are supposed to increase efficiency.
Any of you that have added an intercooler how has that affected your fuel economy?

I know it may take a long time to pay for itself but I am pretty handy at scronging up things cheaply. And besides that If it pays for itself over the life of the truck I would probably still do it because I am tired of so much of my money going to oil companies and the Middle East.

Dvldog 8793
09-20-2005, 03:46
Howdy
The only difference I noticed was greater efficiency when pulling. In other words, I can pull and run it hard with max boost and my EGTs still stay in the HAPPY world. Last weekend I pulled a 4000lb gooseneck with a 9000lb truck on top of it, 65mph 2500rpm 800*egt 15lb boost and about 9-10mpg. I never noticed any increase in day-to-day mileage. I wonder if a small constant dose of NOS would work better for you? I seem to think that Dr Lee was working on a system awhile ago....
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley