PDA

View Full Version : Marine Injection Pump vs. DB2 -4911. Advantages & disadvantages?

fullsizeBlazer
04-13-2010, 05:11
Hi,

can anyone tell me the disadvantages of a marine injection pump? I still need to buy a -4911 IP and considering the amount of money I have to spend on that I easyily could get me a marine injection pump. (cf. Kennedydiesel: including core charge it'll cost me $1050)

I have a 1998 6.5 TD engine w. GM8 Turbo + single thermostat housing + new 1993 injector lines.
:D so why not take the marine IP for $1150 ?

Thanks and greetings

Flo

Robyn
04-13-2010, 07:37
Most marine IP's are set up to provide far more fuel than you can deal with in a pickup/Burb or ??? road application

The lack of a proper charge cooler (most rigs dont have one) plus the inability of the cooling system to deal with the extra heat further agravates the situation..

A good 4911 IP will give you all the fuel the 6.5 can readily use.

When a 6.5 is installed in a Boat application the cooling is accomplished via heat exchangers that use lake, stream, ocean water to cool the engine and the air charge coolers.

Keeping heat under control is never an issue with these applications.

Marine applications generally see a fairly steady throttle too as compared to the extreme variations in a truck.

IMHO far too much to do has been made about marine everything for the 6.5, whether its marine injectors, marine injector pumps etc,etc.

For a road application the 4911 DB2 pump is very hard to beat.

A rig with a good 4 inch exhaust,a proper turbo, and a 4911 IP that has been turned up just a tad a well built 6.5 can safely make 300 HP.

Now 18:1 pistons are definately a must if your looking to head off over to 300 ville.

A pyro and a boost gauge is an absolute must have.
A stock turbo GMx series is not the best choice for major power.

There are several good turbos out there that will make better boost without all the extra heat.

The GM setup has too much drive side back pressure and quickly reaches the point of diminishing returns.

The outlet housing is to restrictive also.

If your planing on big power, plan on spending some serious $$$$ building the basic engine too.

18:1 pistons, Forged crank would be nice, good solid crack free heads.
A fluid damper would be good.

Ballancing the rotating assembly is an absolute must.

A the least I would use a block that has the center main outer bolts inserted.

A gear drive for the cam although not an absolute is a plus.

I would sure think about a set of Cometic head gaskets as they are stainless steel and do not have the forward water passage that contributes to erosion of the deck around cyl's 1 and 2.

High flow water pump and dual stat crossover is a good idea too.

Stock type injectors that are set up at around 2000 PSI Pop is all you need.

No fancy, trick, tweeked up Marine stuff needed to make enough power to rip stuff up.

Marine parts are great stuff, FOR BOATS not trucks.

Have fun and keep us posted on your fire breathing monster.

Post some pics too. :)

Robyn

fullsizeBlazer
04-13-2010, 07:59
@Robyn:

Thank you very, very much!!! :):)

This is one of the best answers to one of my questions I've ever read! :):):):):D

... I got nothing more to add right now! I totally agree with you

Uh, as for the pics: I'll be glad to post some, I'm really looking forward to install the 6.5 in my K5!! :cool:

Thanks again!

Flo

Robyn
04-13-2010, 12:44
If your Blazer has AC system, I would scrounge around and find a Banks or ATS turbo setup.

This will solve a myriad of issues and it makes a very clean install.

The stock turbo might be able to work with a Banks manifold but not sure.

I have seen many Banks Kits on Ebay and craigs list.

Here is a listing on ebay for a kit 130381229717

I recently picked up an 89 K5 Blazer and plan to install a 6.2 in it but currently in a holding pattern due to $$$$$.

My truck has a 350 gasser and runs sweet but loves to eat.

Another issue is the 700R4 tranny. Make sure the tranny is in good shape before running a buttload of power through it.

The 700R was never installed behind a 6.5 TD.
The used either the TH400 or the 4L80

The flex plate from a 6.2 will fit and work correctly. The bolt pattern is the same for all the other 6.2 stuff.

350 flex plate will not work on a 6.5/6.2

Have fun

Robyn