PDA

View Full Version : 1996 crew cab stalling

Guz Motorsports
04-15-2010, 09:24
I have some stalling issues with my 58k miles 6.5 diesel, it starts just fine and after a while it just stalls and service light comes on. It stalls sometimes just 3 or 4 minutes after starting, and sometimes it happends after a while when at idle, like on a stoplight. It starts right up and the start feels a little rough, but after a few seconds the engine starts to sound just fine, and the SES light keeps on.

When the SES light is on, if I pushed the accelerator hard down the road, the engine sounds strange, like it needs more fuel to keep the needed RPMs.

I did the LIFT PUMP test and it is working fine, but there is something strange on my eyes, because if I took off the fuel pump relay from its place located on the truck's fuse boxes, nothing happends, the engine keeps running, and the lift pump still pass the test, the relay seems to be OK and working, I was wondering if this is correct?

I had cleared the codes about 5 times, and the engine works fine but just for a while, sometimes 15 minutes and sometimes for a couple of hours, and then the codes are back again. Most of the time the only codes that are back are the 251 and the 1216

Down below is a checklist and diagnose information.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. Year of truck/engine. 1996 6.5 Diesel
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers). 58K miles
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......) DS4 (I guess).
5. Indicate type of truck C3500 2WD
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit) F code engine
7. Air Filter condition (visual check).OK
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). Just replaced
9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper). On pump
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). 76 F
11. Service Engine Light while running?- ON
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes
12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes
12a. List exact results on engine codes. P0251A, P1216D, P0370A
13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened). OK
14. Known condition and age of Batteries. Almost new
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age? Yes
15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened) OK
16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"? YES
16a. Does engine start and run? YES but stalls.
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? N/A
17a. Does your Wait To Start light come on? YES
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit. About 3 or 4 seconds
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer). N/A
20. Are you experiencing Stalling? YES
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments? NO
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. OK
23. Lift pump test - Describe results. Passed the test OK
24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/No
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? No
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? No
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).NO
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order? OK
29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? No
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues? NO
31. Turbo check out - Pass
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: #2 Diesel
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. Sometimes 2 cycle oil
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? No, just a short hiss
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? NO
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better. N/A

rameye
04-15-2010, 10:25
one of the others will have to help you with OBD 2 codes

however I can tell you that if you have an injection pump thats in good shape it will draw fuel...even with the lift pump DOA.

naturally this is not a good situation for the IJ pump and will probably decrease its short life.

good luck!

Guz Motorsports
04-19-2010, 13:11
Thanks for the reply, and the thing that puzzles me the most, is what happends when unhook the relay and everything stay the same.

I am going to take down the fuel thank to see it.

The codes are related to the injection pump and the crank position sensor.

Mathew Leonard
04-26-2010, 21:58
I had a similar issue with my truck. Some times the check engine light would take a while to come on, once warmed it would come on more regular. The engine would randomely stall out, it would normally do it if the engine was idling but a few times on the freeway. There was never any consistent reason for it stalling. The code being stored was 18.

Eventually tracked it down to the camshaft sensor in the fuel pump. The harness that sits in the diesel and runs down to the pump position sensor had a split in the sheild. Diesel would make it's way up into the upper circuit board and trip the system. The new version has an extra supprt as it comes out of the circuit board to eliminate this from happening.

alberta
07-18-2010, 15:09
I have a 94 6.5l that has same symtons but does not read any code. I'm curious to see any pictures or diagrams of camshaft sensor you might have and also the cost of the repair and how compliated it was.