PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a light duty Axle locker?

Ggerg1186
04-15-2010, 18:21
I have a 1995 2wd truck with the one wheel squeel. 99.9% of the time it is just fine. However, it snows a decent amount here in eastern IA. It would be nice to be able to engage an extra tire occasionally. Eastern IA is very hilly and curvy (Not www.tailofthedragon.com (http://www.tailofthedragon.com) curvy, but plenty of steering inputs nonetheless) so I don't think I want a detroit locker or a limited slip. I currently have a v6 4.3L and I am planning to put an unmodified 6.2LNA in the truck. So really I just need something I can engage to get up my icy driveway in the winter. Anything out there for a good price? Pretty sure I have the 10 bolt light duty rear-end with the 3.08 gear.

DmaxMaverick
04-15-2010, 20:27
Welcome aboard!

The OEM "Eaton Gov-Loc" is pretty good, and operates very well in stock trim. Invisible when it's not needed, and very effective when you do. You could probably get a rear end with the locker from a wrecking yard (working) for less than what it would cost to upgrade. 1995 M/Y began the Gov-Loc, vs. the limited slip in earlier years, so be sure the diff is from a 95 or later.

JohnC
04-16-2010, 12:48
Eaton does not acknowledge the term "gov-loc", but the carriers come up on e-bay all the time. Easy swap out, too, just measure your backlash and install the new carrier at the same setting.

Ebrown
09-11-2010, 10:46
Look at the DIY lockers (easy to install and work pretty good) I have a Lockright (diy) in the front of my K-5 and am very please with it and If it helps I used my blazer every day ( Eatont posi rear w/800lbs springs)