PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Assembly time/cost

JetBoater
04-16-2010, 11:18
Can anyone advise me how long it takes to assemble a 6.5 if all the parts are prep'd and ready to go?

I have a project from a few years ago, but have had zero time to deal with it. The garage needs these parts gone.

The heads are assembled, but the short-block requires assembly.

I'm looking for either the time involved, or approximate cost for what a shop would charge for this....

If too expensive, I will tackle it myself.
Thanks, Mike ;)

jerry598
04-16-2010, 12:21
Depends on a number of factors, but probably the biggest is just how knowledgable the person is who does the work. My one and only rebuild took me several months to put back together once I had all the right parts, BUT, I only spent a couple hours a day on it. I had to research every little step by reading the books and searching out assembly information on this site and others.

Now that I've done it once and know all the critical little details that are very easy to overlook, I can't imagine it would take me more than a 40 hour work week, probably less, provided I was in a good shop environment. That's assuming that all the right parts are there, such as the correct size bearings for the crankshaft and rods, etc.

You can slap it together fast, but its real easy to overlook some very important little things that can bite you later. Unless you're going to get rid of the truck, I would take my time to do it right - and I would do it myself.

JetBoater
04-16-2010, 12:29
I am looking for the time it takes for an experienced shop to assemble this.

I can follow torque specs, clearances, and put it together slowly in a day or 2... but am curious about labor hours.

I have done the reverse and torn 4 of these down, which still takes a few hours!!

DaveBr
04-16-2010, 20:48
If it was me I'd PM Robyn for her input. If you want to box it up and sell it as is you can PM me.