PDA

View Full Version : Can I run my GM TBI in-tank fuel pump with a regulator? (6.2 Diesel)

Ggerg1186
04-16-2010, 14:15
So I have a 95 Chevy with the 4.3 TBI engine. The OEM in tank pump should be regulated to 10-13psi. I want to install a GM 6.2 Diesel. Has anyone tried keeping the in-tank gasoline pump with an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? What is the supply pressure requirements (upper and lower limits) for the 6.2?

DmaxMaverick
04-16-2010, 17:18
GM Diesel fuel pumps should provide 4-10 PSI (engine off or at idle), and any positive pressure at the highest fuel demand (WOT under full load). Pressure is not required, as the lift pump only needs to keep a steady supply to the HP injection pump. Generally, the gasser pumps (especially the in-tank types) don't last long with Diesel. Viscosity and heat kill them (unlike gassers, many times more fuel is returned to the tank than is burned, and it goes back hot). I know of a couple folks who have done it, but there are many more stories of failure than success.

Your best option for a mechanical injection system is the mechanical pump, for many reasons:
1. Supplies fuel volume according to engine RPM.
2. Lasts much longer than an electric.
3. A fraction the cost of an electric to replace.
4. Does not require a fail-safe system to secure fuel flow after a collision or other catastrophic event.
5. No electrical nightmare ahead.

However, it does have a couple drawbacks:
1. More difficult to replace (unless your electric is in the tank, which makes it easier).
2. Priming is more difficult after fuel system service or filter change (however, this is a non-issue if it is done correctly).