PDA

View Full Version : Code 251

DaveBr
04-20-2010, 13:40
The other day My SES light came on for about 15 min. and went out. It was PO251 - IP cam system. Hasn't returned yet. Any guesses as to what that was all about? I use DSG's fuel additive in every tank so I'm hoping it's doing it's job and keeping things lubed. IP is dealer installed less than a year ago.

Kennedy
04-21-2010, 12:10
Generally speaking this means time for a new pump. Cross your fingers that it does not return.

More Power
04-21-2010, 13:18
The Optical Encoder Sensor is located in the top cover of the injection pump. Check the wiring and electrical connector in that area, looking for chafed wiring or loose electrical connectors.

We've heard (though not confirmed) that some home-brewed bio-diesel, diesel fuel alternatives (like some percent of motor oil) or even sometimes red dyed farm diesel can interfere with the optical sensor.

Jim

DaveBr
04-22-2010, 23:56
Does anyone know if the new DS4 pumps have extended warranty like the early pumps did?

DmaxMaverick
04-23-2010, 00:17
Does anyone know if the new DS4 pumps have extended warranty like the early pumps did?

Not sure what you mean by "early". DS4 is DS4, early or late.

All DS4 equipped (civilian) vehicles have the same extended warranty, 11 years or 120K miles. The vehicle is covered for the miles/time, not the pump. Once the time and miles expires, no more warranty. If a GM dealer replaces a pump (out of warranty), it has a one year warranty. A 1998 truck is out of warranty, regardless of the pump installed.