PDA

View Full Version : Cranks and dies

rodburner
04-21-2010, 15:14
I tried to start my truck today, and it'll start for a split second and dies. I've checked the fuel filter and it looks kinda dark but I figured it was fine. I opened the fuel filter drain and fuel squirted out when i turned the key. I'm not real mechanicaly inclined anyhow, so I figured i'd ask the experts.
Thanks in advance

rodburner
04-21-2010, 18:33
Well bought a new fuel filter and it started right up. Go figure:rolleyes:

Robyn
04-22-2010, 07:05
Ohhhhhh yesss the old Plugged fuel filter trick.

These things can go along just fine and all of a sudden zooooooop, no start or they miss and otherwise run crappy.

On these engines, those of us who have lived with them since the gitgo, always put the "gunsights" on the fuel filter and the PMD at the sign of any issues. (Wellllll almost) :D

The little factory dixie cup filter is way too small for the amount of fuel these engines pass through the filter.

The stock filters are rated at 5 micron filtration, too coarse really and lets far too much dirt through IMHO

I tossed my stock filter after it sprung a leak back a couple years ago.

Replaced it with a 2 micron Racor 230R2 spin on unit.

These have a water bowl on the bottom so you can see whats in there.

The 2 mic will plug quicker if you are getting dirty fuel at the stations but it better to plug a filter than ruin a spendy$$$$$$$ IP.

These systems flow about 40 gallons an hour through the filter, the IP and back to the tank.

This number is the most accurate I can get from any place but even if its not right on, the 6.5 flows a lot of fuel through the system.

So basically the same fuel gets filtered over and over again before it ever gets burned.

This flow serves to cool the IP and also makes sure the fuel in the tank is warmed up in colder weather.

The injectors also return a small amount of fuel but nothing like the IP does.

The fuel filter is getting a real workout for sure.

Under normal use I would say you could justify a fresh fuel filter every second oil change or once a year at the least and do it just before winter sets in.

Cold weather, dirty filters and water are just the perfect conditions to leave you stalled somewhere.

Changing a filter out on the road (in your clean clothes) in the dark or worse really sucks.

Robyn

rodburner
04-23-2010, 09:07
Yup I got lucky I guess. Btw where do you get the racor filter?

handcannon
04-23-2010, 23:03
I picked up an add-on filter base I found recently at a pick-n-pull thinking I might someday use it as a pre-filter. It is exactly the same as the stock GM filters used on the 82/83 vintage 6.2s. It is a spin-on with the air bleed on top and water drain on the bottom of the cartridge. Does anybody know what micron they filtered to? Is there a cartridge available that filters down to the 2 micron like the Racor unit that Robyn has?

Don