PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Questions

Dawg
04-24-2010, 20:29
I currently have the manually extended OEM towing mirrors on my '02. After searching old posts, I think the new style manually extended mirrors should bolt right onto my truck. I believe the new style started in 2006.

Does anyone know if all years since 2006 will fit my '02?

Does the new style have turn signals in the glass, and if so, can I get them to work if I make the switch? (I don't have the turn signals now, but thought if I can get them to work...cool) I know I have an empty wiring harness in the door, but can't recall if it if for turn signals or heated mirrors.

I have seen a couple trucks running around that have made the switch, but have not been a position to talk with the owners. I like the looks of the new style mirrors.

Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
04-25-2010, 01:01
They will bolt on, but the electrical is different. The harnesses under the "shark fin" is for heat, power adjust and extend. No mirror signals for 2002. You could wire them in, though.

EdHale
04-25-2010, 06:09
My OEM mirrors had the turn signal in the glass. When I replaced them with towing mirrors, I did not get the in glass signal. At night when you are turning, the turn signal blinds you where you can't see where your trailer is. Don't like that feature at all.

Dawg
04-27-2010, 06:35
Thanks guys. I couldn't recall what the harness was for because I couldn't remember what the options were for the mirrors at the time.

It looks like the newest models have mirrors that have a different foot print. I wonder what the cutoff year is that will have the same foot print as my '02?

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2010, 07:58
The mounting is the same up to the 2007 model year. 2007.5 began the new(est) body style, and have a different mount. I have heard of late model mirrors (2008-9) being installed on earlier trucks, but I haven't seen any, and don't know if it's possible or practical. A simple comparison of the mirrors would tell the story.

Dawg
04-27-2010, 17:13
The 2007.5+ have a foot that seems to be more 'rounded'. I'll just keep an eye out
and come up with a set of the 2007's. Thanks again.

Dawg
05-07-2010, 12:41
I saw an '01-or '02 with the OEM power extending mirrors. The truck made a turn and I noticed it had the turn signal in the glass. As a stated earlier I can't recall the OE mirror configurations in '02, but if they did have the turn marker in the glass, I might be able to get the function to work when I make the swap.

Can anyone with an '01-'02 let me know if they have the turn signal in the glass?

If my harness does have the that option, will I have to get hooked up to a Tech 2 to have the feature "turned on" via the BCM?

DmaxMaverick
05-07-2010, 12:50
There was no turn signal option for 01-02 mirrors. What you saw was either a mod/aftermarket, or wasn't an 01-02. There is no turn signal circuit in the mirror harness. There was no power extending option, either. None if this was an option until the 2003 M/Y.

EdHale
05-07-2010, 13:23
I guess I'm the oddball, but I can't stand the turn signal in the mirror. When you are turning at night and trying to look in the mirror, the signal blinds me. When I replaced my mirrors I did not get the signal in the mirror. Much nicer for my needs.

conway
05-07-2010, 14:22
I suggest that you look at the towing mirrors sold by Kennedy Diesel. Have them on my '03 and my guys prefer them to the OEM '07 mirrors as they extend out further. The mirrors need to be manually extended but are cheaper than the OEM.

EdHale
05-08-2010, 02:44
I replaced my OEM non-towing mirrors with TTT/Schefenacker mirrors from Kennedy. I love them and as I posted earlier, they DO NOT have the turn signal in the mirror surface. I can't stand that since it blinds me when looking into it at night.

Dawg
05-09-2010, 10:05
Thanks for the updates. I'll do some checking.

I wasn't too concerned with the signals in the mirrors, just thought if the wires were there, why not.

Thanks again.

dannomatt
08-03-2010, 07:59
Hey,
I'm looking to replace the OEM mirrors on my 2005 LLY. (Power extending, turn signals, bla-bla) I want to go to an 'upright' style, more suitable for towing a tall enclosed trailer. Some brands look better than others. Some kind of angle up, rather non-OEM looking.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Kennedy
08-03-2010, 15:25
I'll tell you right now, the OE verticaly oriented units absolutely suck when compared to the TTT units. There is too much blind spot, the main glass is too narrow, and the spotter glass is too short vertically. Not to mention they mount crooked on the Classic body style...