PDA

View Full Version : First Post Here

Konrad.INc
04-24-2010, 22:08
Hello to all

I thought I'd introduce myself a little before asking some questions. I guess I should start with the history of my truck. A family friend ordered it custom from GM in 1984 and drove it off the assembly line in Canada. He bought it to haul drill core boxes around NW Montana when he started the busniess with my father. My father bought the truck from him with 38,000 miles on it in 1988 when I was born. He used to as his work truck at a timber company and to pull trees/get firewood while we lived in montana. The truck sat for five years after we moved, but even after that long time, when we went to go drive it to our new home it only took a pair of new batteries to get it started.

I learned to drive in this truck in Montana and I kind of stole it from my father when I realized he wasn't going to use it much and just didn't want to sell it. That was two years ago and the truck was in pretty bad shape, completely rusted hood and bad paint all around, clover growing on the cab floor, 4 different kinds of tires and wheels and a canopy that was more green than the origonal white. Over the last two years I have made a few improvements to her over the last two years.

New lower cab corners (rusted out)
I did a box off complete paintjob (midnight blue pearl) with a little help from a friend
New canopy
New interior rubber floor and sound dampening (suprisingly no rust)
New dash pad
Alcoa wheels
New tires
New injection pump when it went out last thanksgiving
Centerforce II Clutch
All new brakes
I lost a rear main seal on my way home overthanksgiving break this last year and it took me 4 gallons of oil to get from Klamath Falls OR to Portland OR. I pulled the engine, replaced the seal, new glow plugs, new water pump, new thermostat. (no she never ran out of oil, she didn't sound right when I stoped and found two quarts low and a steady stream out the bottom)

As far back as I can remember my dad and/or I have only had to do a few injection pumps, 2 water pumps, 3 radiators and an alternator as far as maintenance. As far as specs for the truck itself

1984 Chevy K20 Custom Delux
Fleetside longbed
10bolt front/14 bolt semi floating rear (4:10 gears)
6.2L J code diesel
SM465 Manual Tranny
NP208 Transfer Case
Eaton G60 rear locker/automatic front hubs

I've pulled 36inch dia 80ft long trees out of the Montana woods with a cable and block with her and I know she will not hesitate when I climb willamate pass at 15000gvw. She has more character and soul than anything else I've owned or seen and she gets 21mpg going down the freeway at 62mph. She's had a hard life but I will never get rid of her, just keep rebuilding when i have to.

I guess I can stop now that i've rambled on about the truck, as for me I'm 22 and just about ready to graduate with my Mechanical Engieering Degree. Obviously I love working on my truck, I am a pilot, hunter and competative rifle shooter, oh and looking for a mechanical engineering job in late june.

I'll see if I can post before and after pictures of my truck and see about finding the right areas to post some questions.

Thanks to all and to the Moderators for this great website.
-Kobuk

Robyn
04-25-2010, 09:06
Welcome to TDP

Good to have you on the board.
The folks here are friendly and knowledgable and will jump in right off to help with any issues that crop up.

Best

Robyn

More Power
04-26-2010, 12:48
Great story! Welcome to the board. :)

Jim

crashz
04-28-2010, 11:24
Welcome Kobuk!

There is a great group of people here with more knowlege of these GM diesels than anywhere else.

Sounds like a nice truck you have. Any photos?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-29-2010, 08:47
yeah, get pictures up! sounds like an awesome truck! welcome to the TDP