PDA

View Full Version : Air dog Filtration????

Shed
04-25-2010, 10:50
I am looking at putting on more filtration for the fuel system. I understand the need for it, or at least the reasoning. I have read about the "airdog" products. I have some questions....

1. How low on the micron scale should/can I go? is 3 micron acceptable?
2. How serious is the embedded air problem in the fuel? I'm not racing here.
3. Would this take the place of the OEM filter? I hope so, that way I could put it in a more accessable place for changes!

Please comment and steer me more towards other options if possible. Thanks for the info! Shed

DmaxMaverick
04-25-2010, 11:19
1. No. 2 micron absolute, minimum. Higher ratings are acceptable for "pre" filters, but the fuel's last stop before the pump should be 2 micron absolute (not nominal).

2. Air is always present, dissolved or otherwise. Normally, the system manages it very well. Leaks notwithstanding.

3. Not an issue. Move your OEM filter, if you don't like where it is. Your 2001 filter is a piece of cake. Have a look at later models.

Shed
04-25-2010, 14:48
Thanks Mav. You saw it's easy to move the fuel filter? How easy and to where? I was thinking underneath on the frame rail would be perfect. Just lay down and change away????

More Power
04-25-2010, 15:21
Thanks Mav. You saw it's easy to move the fuel filter? How easy and to where? I was thinking underneath on the frame rail would be perfect. Just lay down and change away????

If you're not running a second alternator - and don't plan to, you could fabricate a mount to place the factory fuel filter there. :)

Jim

DmaxMaverick
04-25-2010, 20:16
I didn't mean it's easy to move. Only easy to service. I can see how it could be difficult if someone were to insist on doing it difficult.

Moving the filter would take some ingenuity and fabrication. MP suggested the location I would choose. Lots of room, and some mounting boss threaded bolt holes just hanging around with nothing better to do. The location would minimize the amount of plumbing and electrical required. The fuel lines are already on that side from/to the tank, and the pump is right below.

Kennedy
04-26-2010, 13:19
I am looking at putting on more filtration for the fuel system. I understand the need for it, or at least the reasoning. I have read about the "airdog" products. I have some questions....

1. How low on the micron scale should/can I go? is 3 micron acceptable?
2. How serious is the embedded air problem in the fuel? I'm not racing here.
3. Would this take the place of the OEM filter? I hope so, that way I could put it in a more accessable place for changes!

Please comment and steer me more towards other options if possible. Thanks for the info! Shed

Search items: 1/4 tank issues and Beta ratio

1) Micron ratings are deceiving. Look up the term "beta ratio" for an interseting read. Call the OE filter 4 micron or whatever you will, but word is it is/was more of a 9 micron absolute.

2) The air is there, but not for the reasons the Air Dog says. Just put it under pressure and the fuel will stay liquid. These type systems use a bypass regulator plumbed from the top of the filter where the "air" should accumulate. They then return this bypassed fuel into the tank vent where it "pisses" back into the tank. This in my opinion puts more air into the fuel than it takes out. It also creates the 1/4 tank issue.

3) Leave the OE filter in place. ALL micron ratings are based on multi pass. That means the more times through a filter (or more filters) the cleaner it gets. This is why the OE went to a dual pleat design. A filter within a filter and they STILL made revisions after this because they felt it was not good enough.

The Original KD Mega filter is still the best solution in my opinion.