PDA

View Full Version : axle questions

stantjeeper85
04-26-2010, 15:34
1. Is a 6lug 3/4ton 14 bolt weaker, stronger, or equal in strength to an 8lug 1ton 14bolt?

2. Can a 6 lug 14 bolt be converted to an 8lug 14bolt?

3. Can an 8lug 14 bolt be converted to a 6lug 14bolt?

Why do I ask? I need a 14 bolt to replace my rear 10 bolt and want to know what my options are.

trbankii
04-26-2010, 17:33
My understanding is that the 6-lug version is a semi-float axle and is weaker than the 8-lug full-float version.

One cannot be converted to the other.

[edit]You cannot change a semi-float axle to a full-float axle, but there are ways to change the lug pattern of either one.

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2010, 19:23
Correct. They are NOT interchangeable. The only similarity is the number of bolts securing the cover. They are different animals, and do not have common parts.

You can get 8 lug axles to fit the semi-floater, but I don't know of any 6 lug hubs for the full floater. In every case I'm familiar with, the center hole in 6 lug wheels are too small to fit any full floater hub.

As far as strength/durability goes, the full floater is stronger, by far. This is why no HD or 1 ton truck is equipped with a semi floater axle. It's due to about 8 times the bearing surface area.

What year 10-bolt are you replacing? If 1988 or later, use a 14 bolt semi floater. Earlier, use a pre-1980 12 bolt. Either of these offer a stronger axle with little to no modification. The 80-87 10-bolts were weak. 88+ were a little better. Not a big deal for a daily driver, but any significant towing or loading really brings out their weakness.