PDA

View Full Version : HELP - sudden no start condition.

65-f100
04-29-2010, 19:07
OK guys - need some input here. Wife's Suburban won't start. Here is what happened. Within the last two weeks - have noticed an intermittent surge when driving. Not a PMD type situation, just a sudden small surge. Has only happened a couple of times. Last week - drove it all day - came home and parked it. Next morning - turns over fine - won't start. Checked fuel at bleeder with key on - steady stream coming out. Recharged batteries. Still no start. Come home at lunch - it starts right up. Thinking maybe air in the lines so we start driving it again. Drives fine the next day. Decided to change fuel filter just in case. Had done this recently, so it was not dirty and no trash in the bowl. Spits and sputters some after I change the filter but clears up as usual. Drive it to dinner that night - runs fine except I did have the intermittent surge occur again. Just does it a couple of times and then normal again. Next morning - starts right up. A little coughing but thinking it may still have a little air from the filter change. Give it some gas and it clears up. Put it in D to take off - dies. Will not restart. Turns over fine - still have fuel from the lift pump. Oil pressure comes up after cranking. Just checked tonight and I do have power at the glow plugs. PMD is a Heath unit. I've had this fail before and know those symptoms - this is different. Injectors are Heath and Injection Pump replaced with new GM unit approx 2 years ago.

Is there a way to test the IP when it wont start?

thor04
04-29-2010, 19:42
Mine does the same thing surges at low rpm ranges and will do the odd no starts, thought i was stranded a couple of times but all i do is give the pcm a little wack then it fires right up. I'm going to get the pcm upgrade from ssdiesel

Burning Oil
04-29-2010, 20:38
Do you have a known good PMD to try? Sure sound like its bad. The other thing could be the grounds need attention, the one at pass side rear intake. If those are loose it can do what you discribe.
Good luck.
Leroy

65-f100
04-30-2010, 04:35
I do have an extra good PMD and did try that with no luck. Have not checked the grounds lately. I'll try that and see what we have. Thanks.

rameye
04-30-2010, 15:18
fuel solenoid???