PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system problem

mmlaw2002
05-02-2010, 12:24
One week ago my 1999 6.5L turbodiesel just stalled out in the middle of the road. I have since changed the fuel sending unit, secondary fuel pump, fuel filter and PMD. I have disconnected one of the fuel line connections at the injector and while I crank over the engine their is still no fuel coming out of the line. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What should I do next?????

DaveBr
05-02-2010, 14:03
Can you hear the lift pump running with the key in the on position?

Did you bleed the air out of the fuel filter housing using the lift pump?

Open the T valve and check to see if you have fuel running out the water drain hose.

With your ear near the IP have someone turn the key to the on position. You should hear a click that tells you your fuel shut off solenoid is working.

Is the pmd you changed new or used? If it is remote mounted check your harness.

These are the easy things to look for. Also check your rig out for stored codes and let us know what you get.

DaveBr
05-02-2010, 14:05
P.S.

Welcome to the page

mmlaw2002
05-02-2010, 16:49
The lift pump is working fine and when I unscrew the bleeder on the top of the fuel filter fuel flows out without the presence of air....the injector pump also clicks when you turn the ignition. It appears that the problem lies between the fuel filter and the injector lines....Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this problem.

DaveBr
05-03-2010, 16:50
What about the pmd - new or used, ext cable or pump mounted? If this is all good you need to determine if you have fuel from filter to IP. If you do then just maybe you need to bleed your injector lines. What about engine codes? This could help you pinpoint the problem.

mmlaw2002
05-03-2010, 18:28
I had a friend help me today and I tried to listen for the clicking sound....I heard a click but it was coming from the back of the engine and not the injector pump. The clicking sound was coming from a plastic cap unit which has two threaded raods with wires connected to it?????? Also the lift pump only works when I connect direct power to it from the battery terminal through the fuel pump relay receptacle in the fuse box....I have swapped out the relay with another and I still have the same problem. The PMD I installed is brand new. I noticed it became excessively hot while I was trying to work on the engine so hot that it could burn your finger...Any thoughts????

mmlaw2002
05-03-2010, 18:30
Oh yes the codes I have had this code since I purchased the truck three months ago .....Secondary fuel pump problem... Any thoughts?????

DaveBr
05-04-2010, 14:36
The click you heard was probably from your glow plug relay. If you do not get a click at your IP when you turn the key to the on position then your fuel solenoid is not being energized and your truck will not start. Check it out. Can you remember the actual code #? I know this is pretty basic but did you check your fuses? In dash and under the hood?

mmlaw2002
05-04-2010, 19:18
I checked all fuses and they are OK. I will see if I can get the code # tomorrow.

mmlaw2002
05-05-2010, 18:31
I pulled the code today it is P0231. Any thoughts? I replaced the fuel pump relay in the fuse box located in the engine compartment and ....still the same.

Thank you for your assistance !!!!

redsuburban
05-07-2010, 10:28
When my 96 Suburban dropped an 0231 code it was the OPS. I noticed a dramatic oil pressure drop just before I started having problems. Changed out the OPS and the relay. Recovered all of my oil pressure + a little more. Runs & starts like a champ at 300,000+ miles.