PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 No start...ideas?

KillerBob
05-02-2010, 23:37
Hello all. I have a '96 6.5 1500. In the last while it would sputter and take a bit of cranking to get started but then would be fine for a couple weeks. I went to start it today and it almost started...but then died just when it seemed like it would run fine. I just blamed it on the cold weather and plugged it in and recharged the batteries but now I can't get it to start with fast cranking. I opened the bleeder on top of the fuel filter and nothing came out when I cranked it. Fuel filter is dirty and the filter housing did not have a whole lot of diesel sitting in it. Lift pump? Any ideas on where I should start first? Thank you,

Richard

KillerBob
05-03-2010, 16:28
Well I checked it out today. I can kick in the lift pump with a 12 V booster pack but it only clicks once. If you continue to apply power it does nothing but if you click it a bunch it will fill up the filter housing. While cranking there is 10-12 V going to lift pump and the oil pressure gauge goes up. Is my lift pump shot?

DaveBr
05-03-2010, 16:57
You should be able to hear your lift pump run as soon as you turn the key on. It should sound like a mechanical cat purring. You put 12 volts direct to the pump and it only makes the clicking sound once says that your lift pump is finished. A common issue with 6.5's.