PDA

View Full Version : brake and steering problems, hydroboost

Lady in Red
05-06-2010, 13:03
Has anyone lost their brakes and steering at the same time? I have heard that there was a recall for this problem in 2004. Mine is a 2005, so GM told me to take a hike. They said that there is no proof that this actually happened to me. Can you believe it? I guess that no one has died yet so they don't really care. :(

MikeyB
05-06-2010, 18:06
I had similar problems with my '01. Apparently (on '01's atleast) the power steering pump runs the hydroboost for braking. I started it up to back out and had no brakes or power steering. The power steering pump pissed a large quantity of fluid onto my driveway. There is a check valve in my case that was not working. I ended up having to install a new pump, not a fun job at all. Supposedly it could be rebuilt to get to the valve, but the price was comparable with me just replacing the pump with new.

Mine did start acting up prior to the last straw. Usually a shutdown and restart solved the problem.

Mike

Lady in Red
05-07-2010, 16:00
Thanks, Mike. I paid $866.00 to have it replaced. I am so dissappointed with GM. They are well aware of the problem. The truck is a fire engine red 2005 2500HD SLT crewcab short bed. I paid almost $50,000.00. It only has 38,000 miles on it. It had to have the tie rod ends replaced at 22,000 miles (under warranty, thank God!!!) and the steering shaft was done twice. That was a problem getting them to admit to as well. Finally there was a recall, so they HAD to fix it. This is supposed to be a heavy-duty truck????

2tough2park
05-09-2010, 17:54
Thanks, Mike. I paid $866.00 to have it replaced. I am so dissappointed with GM. They are well aware of the problem. The truck is a fire engine red 2005 2500HD SLT crewcab short bed. I paid almost $50,000.00. It only has 38,000 miles on it. It had to have the tie rod ends replaced at 22,000 miles (under warranty, thank God!!!) and the steering shaft was done twice. That was a problem getting them to admit to as well. Finally there was a recall, so they HAD to fix it. This is supposed to be a heavy-duty truck????

Not to hijack a thread, but your steering shaft was only done twice? My 06 with 30k has had three shifts put on and just a couple weeks ago was back in again to look it. This time it was "packed with grease" which means I'll be back for my fourth in about a month. So much for heavy duty.

MikeyB
05-09-2010, 18:27
Believe me I know the feeling. I have had quite a few major expense repairs on this truck. I also had my tie rods replaced in the past. Now I am having problems with the gear selector and odometer are dead. Can't wait to dig into this one as well. Not!

Mike

dannomatt
03-26-2011, 21:56
OK, so am I hearing that there is a hydro-boost pump that is separate from the steering pump, or that the steering pump runs the brake assist? It sounds like Lady In Red, and MikeyB have had the same problems.
Thanks,
Dan

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2011, 22:18
OK, so am I hearing that there is a hydro-boost pump that is separate from the steering pump, or that the steering pump runs the brake assist? It sounds like Lady In Red, and MikeyB have had the same problems.
Thanks,
Dan

One pump. The "power steering pump" is the brake booster pump, and vice versa.